Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports XI : Fialed to create the Crystal Database Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgim1

MIS
Jul 1, 2002
NZ
Hi,

The help desk have kindly installed Crystal Reports XI on my PC (local) however there is a problem.

If I go to create a blank report I get the error message "Failed to create the Crystal Database Connector" and cannot proceed any further.

The other issue is I cant even go FILE - OPEN to view any of the sample reports.

Any suggestions?

It may be improperly installed.

What does "The other issue is I cant even go FILE - OPEN to view any of the sample reports." mean, it returns an error or the File pulldown doesn't work, or?

Saying something doesn't work isn't enough, you need to state what occurs adn when, and any error messages (as with the first half of your post).

Speaking of the first part, when does the error occur, when you say File->New or when you try to open a data source?

-k

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

I open the report designer....via crw32.exe. From the "start page" if I go File - New or click on Blank Report I get the error "Failed to create the Crystal Database Connector"

If I go File - Open nothing happens. No dialog box, file explorer or anything.

Sounds like a bad install to me, never heard of that happening.

There are some issues when using a shortcut which can cause Crystal not to load or error, but since you're going directly against the CRW32.EXE I would guess that something didn't work.

You might also post your OS and if they're using a application sharing or virtual software, but I'd suggest that they load it from scratch on the PC and make sreu that they do a full install using Admin rights.

-k

Running Windows 2000.

It was installed using an Administrator login.

I have passed your comments onto the help desk.

You need Win2K SP4 as referenced here:

The quote:

Below are the minimum requirements your computer needs to install and run Crystal Reports XI. If your system does not meet these requirements, the programs may not run correctly.

Operating system - Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4, XP, or later
Additional operating systems for Java Reporting Component only - Linux Red Hat Enterprise 3, Solaris 8 or later, AIX 5.1 or later, HP-UX 11i v1
Processor - Pentium II or higher (Pentium III-class recommended)
Memory - 128 MB of RAM (256 MB recommended)
Hard disk - 350 MB of free hard disk space (600 MB recommended)
Note: For an expanded list of supported platforms, refer to platforms.txt on the Crystal Reports CD. For installation notes and details regarding known issues with this release, please refer to release.pdf on the Crystal Reports CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back