Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports Viewer/ODBC 08004 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

linmatt

Technical User
May 22, 2002
GB
Hi

having a small problem -

SQL Server 6.5 SP5a on NT4 SP6a - I know, I know - W2k/SQL2k upgrade happening in the next 6 weeks - but for now:

Connecting to SQL Server with ODBC. The DSN is set for Named Pipes, "\\<Servername>\pipe\sql\query". Works fine. untill this morning, then started gerring Crystal Reports error 08004 - "Login failed -User XXX: is not defined as a valid user of a trusted SQL Server connection"

We are using Windows XP SP1 clients in an AD domain to access a database in an old NT4 domain - trusts both ways, in place, verified and active. Mixed authentication, but they have thier own particular login onto the DB. been working fine for months. The NT server is registered in the AD-Domain's DNS.

The DSN is either reverting to named pipes with just the server name, or TCP/IP connection, but the server is only set up for named pipes, and that's what we want.

I can't see where the issue lies, can anyone shed any light? Anyone seen this before?

Matt

Did someone by chance just install a service pack to XP? The new service pack has the port SQL Server uses blocked by default.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Nope - only one client has SP2, and that works fine. Sods Law and all that. It was the first thing I checked. The problem is intermittent, and works sometimes but not others. I'm wondering if it's a cross-domain thing, ADS to NT Domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back