Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports running VERY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

conniew

MIS
Nov 18, 1998
US
First, let me just say I'm not a CR/Database or Dev. type person. Just a simple network admin. but I'm trying to assist the dev. team with a problem they are having with CR. They provide reports to our users via the Corporate Intranet using CR Enterprise 8.5. The users input their parameters in the web page and ASP scripts run to launch the report on our Web Reporting server. The data is pulled from one of three databases: Baan, MS SQL and Informix. If a single report is launched it will run quickly, no problems. If more than one user attempts to run reports at the same time, the system becomes log-jammed. Until the first report finishes, the others will just poke along. We do know that it is not a licensing issue and are working with CR Support but haven't resolved it yet. For tests purposes, I built them a new, clean server. DL360, 2 1ghz CPUs, 2 GB RAM, W2K/SP2, CR 8.5 Ent., OuterJoin reg. fix and Informix drivers...nothing else. We tested by running two reports at about the same time. We had previously tested the reports alone and both would finish in 5-10 seconds. When run together, the reports would take 30 or more seconds to run. Later, we added hotfixes to the server for the Blaster Worm, retested, added CR hotfix, retested, added CR 8.5/SP3 and retested but got the same results. Fianlly, I added W2K/SP3 and this time when we tested, the reports just flew by! We rested, used the same reports then different reports and each test worked! We tested 6 times or so and each one was good. We then called in the boss to let him see and...it broke again. Nothing changed, but since then, we have not been able to make it work. Any one have any ideas? Any suggestions will be appreciated. TIA

Hi,
Have you examined the Metrics in the CMC for the various servers ( especially the cache and page ) to see what is happening..Look for cache hits, etc..

Be sure enough space/memory is available to the cache and
be sure enough disk space is available for temp storage.

Just some ideas..

[profile]

That was one of the first things I checked. We have plenty of resources, the server isn't taxed at all. If it were just resources, then it would not have worked for several tests then just stopped working again. As I mentioned above, this is a test server that no one else is using. Thanks for the suggestion though, wish it were so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back