Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports - Intermmitent failures in BOXI SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LloydMeyer

Technical User
Aug 6, 2009
GB
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if you can help us please.

We have recently upgraded our Business Objects XIR2 SP2 platform to an SP4 platform and now we're getting intermittent report failures when scheduling our reports.

Error Message

"Failed to retreive data from the database" - with no Oracle or no other code.

We had done many tests and checked various avenues trying to fix this issue, even BO themselves are stuck on what the answer could be.

As a test, we deployed a standalone version of SP2 on our test environment, ran a failing report and it was successful. We then installed a standalone version of SP4 on the same enviroment, ran the failing report and it failed. So this indicates an issue somewhere with SP4.

We can run the reports locally via Crystal without any issues.

We seem to think it's down to large data sets, as we can split the "failing" report into say 3 smaller reports and each one is successful, yet when ran as a whole, it fails. Before the upgraded we could produce results sets of 40k + rows, now we're failing on 9k rows.

Our platform is windows - we have checked the regedit entires, xml files, config files, command lines in the CCM but are really stuck on this issue.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Lloyd.

Is there anything in SP 4 that you "have to have" for your system or did you just upgrade because there was a service pack? If you just upgraded because it was there, I would try uninstalling the service pack to see if that resolves the problem.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Hi,read through the changes made by the SP ( should be in a readme type file or on the website for the servoce pack)..

See if any timeout values have been reset, or any Oracle-specific changes were made..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hilfy,

The reason we upgraded was because another project needed to place it's SP3 developed Webi reports on our system :eek:(

I have set up a standalone version of SP2, and guess what? Everything works fine, no issues at all. I have built a standalone version of SP4 on the same environment, the reports start failing. Bizarre.

Turkbear,

I have read through the documentation and looked at any changes or bugs that could be in SP4 and have yet to find anything.

Cheers,
Lloyd.

Hi,
Are there any error messages in the Event Viewer that may have more specific reasons for the failure to retreive?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

You mentioned ORACLE in your posting. What version of the Oracle driver do you have installed on the SERVER that is running SP4 and FAILING...?

Sometimes the versions of Oracle and BO that "play nice" together are very-specific. (eg. patching to the most recent Oracle driver might not work with a 6-month old patch of the BOE software).

Just somewhere else to look...

Senior Business Intelligence Consultant
Toronto, Canada

SeagateInfo 7 -> Crystal Enterprise -> BOE-XI (R2) / (R3.1) | Crystal ( 7 -> 2008) design | WebI design | Best practices for Java / .Net / Web Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back