Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports fails with asp.net on remote server

Status
Not open for further replies.

vihrao

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2004
US
I have compiled crystal report on win2003 server. The report works fine. When I try to access the report from a client via asp.net gives me error: LoadSaveReportException: Load report failed
On win2003 Server I have loaded crystal reports, but I have not loaded .net on the server
Here is the code. Can you please tell me what is wrong?

string path = "\\\\10.35.68.10\\c$\\Inetpub\\crReportDocument.Load(path);

However, I can open that report with the above path via Crystal Report of client machine. When I try to open it via .NET on client machine, it gives Load report failed.

I can go locally on the server and open the report, I can remotely open the report on the server from a client. So what what are you suggesting?

When an ASP.NET application runs on a server, the application itself, by default, runs under the ASPNET or NETWORK_SERVICE account. Therefore, if when running the application it doesn't have permission to view the file, it could produce the error message you are seeing.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Right now I do have .net loaded on the server. Are you suggesting that I should load .net on the server. I am confused?

I am sorry I meant I have not loaded .net on the server. Should I load .net and give aspnet account permissions to the directory?

Let me explain properly. There are two servers. win2k server 10.35.68.10 hosts the reports. A seperate Intranet server hosts the asp.net website. When someone access the web page on the intranet server, I want to point to the report on the win2k server and run the report. It is like the website that hosts pages does not have the report but accessing it from remote win2k server. Is this even possible? The win2k Server does not have asp.net, but has crystal reports. The intranet server does not have crystal reports.
The reason I cannot load the crystal reports on the intranet server is because it has old version of crystal reports 8.0 with plain ASP. The new ASP.NET 2.0 works only with Crystal reports 9.0 and later. If I load the new version 9.0 on the intranet server I have to recompile all the reports from 8.0 to 9.0 which I cannot do right now as there are thousands of them. So I just loaded the asp.net page on the intranet and the crystal 9.0 on seperate machine and try to access it remotely. I don't know what else to do?
Please suggest something.

ca8msm said:
So you haven't installed .NET on the server that will host your ASP.NET site? Is that correct?
vhrao said:
If that is the case then your ASP.NET site won't run. You need the .NET framework installed to run a .NET application.

Once this is done, if you are still getting the same error, it might be down to the isue I described in my second post.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back