Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports Exporting to Excel With Formating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phwrd

MIS
Apr 19, 2000
US
Using Crystal Reports 2008, Visual Studio 2008 with C#.

Build the report in Crystal with multiple columns, some of which are narrative and can be quite lengthy. Using the “Can Grow” option on all fields.

Have a web page that displays the report through the viewer, looks great.

Since I can't get the pictures to upload, i will try to illustrate,

Web Page / Crystal Viewer

Date Narrative Region
08/16/2010 It was a rough day for several Chase USA
contenders. Kurt Busch blew an engine,
Mark Martin damaged his car early and
spent most of the afternoon running
outside the top 30, and Jeff Gordon was in
the top 10 then he had a flat tire with 47
laps to go.

Example of Excel Output
ROW
1 Date Narrative Region
2 08/16/2010 It was a rough day for several Chase USA
3 contenders. Kurt Busch blew an engine,
4 Mark Martin damaged his car early and
5 spent most of the afternoon running
6 outside the top 30, and Jeff Gordon was in
7 the top 10 then he had a flat tire with 47
8 laps to go.

Problem occurs when clients export to Excel, which is being done through the Export button on the Viewer.

The “Can Grow” narrative columns become multiple rows, not the one Row that I need.

This is not a sort-able report due to the Narrative being in Multiple Rows.

I can export it into Excel through the “Data Only” option, but then it requires user manipulation before it is readable.

Anybody know how I can accomplish this ? I know that the Crystal Export to Excel isn’t going to do it.
I am the SQL / Crystal Developer and know very little about the Web/C# portion of this.

Can I export to an Template through C# ? Is there 3rd party software that will accomplish this?

Thanks in advance !

Export file
[tt]
08/16/2010|It was a rough day for several Chase contenders. Kurt Busch blew an engine, Mark Martin damaged his car early and spent most of the afternoon running outside the top 30, and Jeff Gordon was in the top 10 then he had a flat tire with 47 laps to go.|USA

[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hey Skip,

could you elaborate a little bit ? Not quite sure how that is going to help me,

thanks.

It's the text wrapping in your report that is the culprit.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Unfortunately, there have always been issues with Crystal's export to Excel. [banghead]

In this case, it will either display cleanly like you have it formatted, or you may be able to turn off "Can Grow" and have it export cleanly. You probably won't be able to do both.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

I have tried this without the line feeds/carriage returns. No Difference, the Excel still puts the narrative on multiple rows.

Thanks !

Unfortunately, that means that there's nothing you can do in Crystal to get the text into a single cell.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Unfortunatly, that is the same conclusion that i have come to.

Thanks for your efforts !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back