Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports Bar coding - Theory? Help in practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekimr

Technical User
Jun 28, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have been requested to research a simple solution to produce Bar code labels from simple Numeric input variable.

Is CR - suitable for the job or should I be looking at a real bar coding product.

So my theory :

prompt for numeric range:

12345 to 12349.

Result - Should print 5 Bar code prints on 'Labels' and the original value (e.g 12345 underneath the bar code).

All help appreciated

If I understand you correctly, you have no data, you simply want to use Crystal to enter values at a prompt and then print?

If so, you would need external doce to do this, or at least join to some table and then you could sort of fake it.

You could make it work by creating a table of values and using the parameter range to select from it, then you could leverage Crystal's powerful label printing, along with a bar code font.

You might want to learn what type of bar code they want too.

-k

If I understand you correctly, you have no data, you simply want to use Crystal to enter values at a prompt and then print?

If so, you might need external code to do this, or at least join to some table and then you could sort of fake it.

You could make it work by creating a table of values and using the parameter range to select from it, then you could leverage Crystal's powerful label printing, along with a bar code font.

You might want to learn what type of bar code they want too.

-k

IS IT POSSIBLE ME TO CHANGE THE CR LABEL SIZE USING VB FORM SAY A VALUE FROM A TEXT BOX.
THANKS

ekimr,

I've done it before, but using one of the methods that synapsevampire suggested. I created the recordset in VB, then sent it to a report that generated the barcodes.

I do not believe that you can create a recordset in Crystal. There is an ugly way to do it that would involve a string formula, but of course, the limitation of 254 charcters would create a problem.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back