Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal reports and SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanma

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
GB
1. Am I correct in assuming that Crystal Reports 8.5 is required if we are converting all our databases to SQL 2000?

2. Is it possible to run two different versions of Crystal Reports on the one workstation? i.e. 6.0 and 8.5

We will need to do this because of third party software still required that uses 6.0

many thanks

Hi Susanma!
I am not an expert at this but i can tell that i had both versions installed in my pc with no problem.
I had a problem when i unistalled the V6, i had to re-install the v 8.5 again.
For the first quenstion i don´t know for sure but i guess the answer is no.

SG

The answer to question 2 depends on how the third party incorporated v6. Does it install the full CRv6 or just the runtime? I have had one PC with versions 4-8.5 on it and I can use them all with very few problems, but that is the report designer, not the runtime.

Usually, installing a newer version of CR will overwrite DLLs used by older versions. Theoretically, the third party should be able to use the new dlls instead of the old ones. However, this isn't always the case - especially since v6 is 3 versions back from v8.5.

Have you tried running CRv6 against SQL 2000. I would think that you could get it to work, but I haven't proved it. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back