Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports 8.5 Vs 10 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

omesh620

Technical User
Jul 7, 2004
US
Hi! My company is considering upgrading from CR 8.5 to CR 10 and I am trying to see if there is a whole lot of difference as far as practical uses between these two versions. Anyone have some experience to be able to tell what the major differences are that make CR 10 more useful than CR 8.5 (Practically)?

Blatently jumping on the upgrade to v10 bandwagon..!

One thing that I find frustrating in my organisation is exporting to Excel. (I may be doing it all wrong)

Where I work I am the only person with CR (ver9 professional). In the majority of cases I create the report and then upload it to a programe which allows user to view the data using a Crystal Viewer.

I then requests for reports to be used by an indivdual for research purposes. In the majority of theses cases a quick export to *.pdf does the trick.

My problems arise when the research is more complex and further data anaylsis needs to take place - hence I need to export it to excel.

My question is - does v10 (or v11 - any advance tips..?) deal with exporting to excel better than v9. Ideally it would be in a similar way that Business Objects deals with exporting to excel.

Thanks for your help,

Vis

Its pretty much the same as v9.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- TEK2(AT)kenhamady.com

Oh well - no upgrade for me then..!

Do you think / know if v11 will have any major changes..?

Cheers

Vis

The news I've read indicate that CR 11 will provide dynamic & cascading parameters. Long overdue...

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Ido or anyone else,

In the news that you have read, was there any mention about the license resrictions for the next release of Crystal Enterprise (CE)? My understanding is that SQL Reporting Services has unlimited user licenses when it come to scheduling and viewing reports whereas the "Free" version of CE comes with 5 NAMED licenses.

I am evaluating CE and SQL Reporting Services and this point seems a bit troubling to me.

Thanks for your comments.

Fred

Dynamic Parameters:
pick list populates on the fly based on values in the database

Cascading Parameters:
pick list in one parameter gets populated based on the choice made in a previous parameter. For example, select Product Type(s) in one parameter and the next Product Parameter will show only Products within the selected Product Type(s).

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back