Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports 2008, Crystal Server 2008 & repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwirky

MIS
Apr 22, 2010
AU
Hello,

We are currently using CR Server 2008 to schedule reports that are created in CR 2008. All working fine from that perspective.

One of the finance guys has asked about the repository and saving data in there which can be used with various reports (from what I can tell, he believes that if he updates data in the repository, it will then be transferred to the other reports).

I have tried googling Crystal Server Repository and the only mentions I have seen are references to the Input & Output File Repository. It does not seem to mention the query I have above.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction of what finance may be referring to? I am hoping once I know what it is I will be able to research etc to implement this.

Thankyou :)

I suspect he's talking about the repository where you can store report objects - I don't know for sure it's in Crystal Server, but I would bet it is. Open Crystal Reports and find the Repository Explorer icon, it will ask you to log on with your usual credentials.

You can store text fields, pictures and SQL commands there. When utilized in reports, the content of those objects is managed by the repository. This means that if your company logo changes, you can change it once and it will be pushed out to all reports that use it.

This is useful if you use a lot of reports with command objects and your schema changes. You can then update the command with the new object names and your reports will be updated accordingly. I should say that this is only useful if you have a lot of reports using the same command object. Sometimes I include extraneous fields in the command just to be able to use it in multiple reports.

I don't know of any way to do what your coworker describes in terms of saving actual data for use across multiple reports. Hope that helps.

Hi,
The only way I know of to keep reports updated when data changes is to base them on Views which would have the latest data from the underlying table(s) and set the reports to refresh when run.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks guys. That helps heaps. I will now be able to do some research and speak with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back