Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports 11 on-demand subreport help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoWantsTacos

Programmer
Mar 18, 2011
US
I'm looking for ways to speed up my monstrosity of a Crystal Report. It currently contains about 70 sub reports and 30-35 different stored procedures to get the data (only one stored proc per sub report).

There is an awful lot of data coming back for each sub-report (6k-15k records each) that is then rolled up into a few different groups and ultimately only 7-10 rows are displayed unless the user drills down.

I've read about using on-demand subreports to sort of re-query the database instead of drilling down, but I've also read you can't have a subreport in a subreport.

Unfortunately, this report is kind of a one stop shop and can't really change. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get it to just return the records at the highest level but still give them an easy way to drill down into the details if they need to?

Thanks

You might be able to make one sub-report summarize the data where most of that work is done on the database which would speed up all the retrievals. Then add a second on demand sub-report they could click to run that would get the actual detail if they wanted to see it.

The issue is that one subreport may have sales information, one may have inventory information, one may have employee turnover information, and so on. All these are in the same "big" report that is used by upper management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back