Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal report design crashing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slim2

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
Hello,

Can anyone give me some advice on how to solve this problem? I had a report that was working and i added some fields to the report. When I refreshed the data Crystal crashed, did not save my changes, and crashes now even without the changes when I refresh the data. This has happened before on other reports and I always had to recreate it.

Thanks

I find that I experience this problem when I add a table into the report. If so its probably due to your links.

kphu,

Thank you for the reply. I remeoved the link from one of the tables and the refverence to the table field. I still crash. Does the report, once corrupted, stay bad?

Thanks again

I have never experienced a report that stay bad if it was previously corrputed as long as your providing the right fix.

Depending on how your tables are setup in the database the links need to be very specific.

Open your crystal report help and under index type in "link relationship". This will explain how the links should be setup.

It often times does remain corrupted.

If you don't have a back up, you can try a few things:

Open the report and select verify database.

or

Open the report and save it in another version of Crystal.

or as a last resort

Open the report and open a blank report. Set the tables up in the new report (hopefully it won't crash at that stage), then set up your grouping.

Copy objects from the corrupt report to the new one. You can place all of your formulas (even those that aren't displayed in the report) on the report together and copy and paste them en masse to the new report, then just delete them from the new report, the formulas will then be in the report.

Copy over your record/group selection criteria formulas, and you should be OK.

Remember to save often as you do this process, and to use different names so that you can revert back a step if it blows again.

Good luck with it, this is a very annoying and too common occurence in Crystal Reports.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Thanks all for the help. I am moving the fields to a new report and is working so far.

I have a very large amount of fields so it is time consuming nbut much better than rewritting. Great technique.

you can also have Crystal autosave a copy of a report as you are working in design....In file Options or report options there is a option to say how often a copy was changed...

I forget where on the C drive it is saved to but a search for *.rpt should find it using File Find in Explorer

I often forgot to save work only to have it crash...this saved my "assets" several times...although it isn't as reliable as say MS Word Jim Broadbent

I also have had Crystal crash after adding tables or doing a Set Location. One thing that I have been somewhat sucessful in doing is to go to Database/Show SQL Query, and press Reset.

Also, we run partitioned disks here (C: and D: local drives with quite limited space on the C: drive)and I have found that unless I clean out .tmp files from from my C: drive periodically, Crystal likes to crash.

Hope this helps

Hi Slim2:

Supposedly there was an earlier version (we're in 8.5) of Cyrstal that had a major bug- not saving your changes consistently. There is a patch for that put out by Crystal...look around in the knowledge base.

Can't help you with how to recover once it happened...but the patch could prevent the next time.

--Timbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back