Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Report connectivity issues to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

FONEGUY

Technical User
Jan 28, 2002
US
Has anyone experienced a connectivity problem with Crystal and Symposium ? I have several users that are using a custom report that was created in Crystal and imported to their web client ( 4.5 ) . This is a sizable report , weekly historical login/logout report for about 70 agents . The report seems to run fine , and the requested data is available in the report . With that many agents , it takes the clerical person quite a while to sort through her data and find what she is looking for . After about 10 to 15 minutes , a error pops up on her PC , telling her that the connection to the server has timed out , it shows this as a Crystal error .After this times out , she has to rerun the report and resume from that point . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated .

I would try breaking up the large report in two separate ones. It's not unreasonable to assume that the database forces a timeout on queries that take longer then <insert threshold here> but I can't confirm that for sure. I've NEVER had a report take 15 minutes to generate and I've generate some pretty big yearly reports.

Btw if it takes that 'clerical person' that long to go through all that data, why don't you kill two birds with one stone, add a 'WHERE=' clause or a filter in the report to reduce it to the data she's looking for and at the same time reduce the time the query takes.

Thanks for the reply . I have tested this on 3 separate systems located a 3 different sites , same result .All are 5.0 with SWC 4.5 and all are on the same network . I can see the NW folks limiting the connection time to reduce the traffic , I'm just trying to figure out if this is a Symposium issue ( qwirk ) or a NW issue . The actual login/out report runs in a manner of seconds , the clerical person is just trying to work off the "live " report throughout the day . As a workaround , I have shown them how to export the report and save as a local copy on their PC , this way they have access as long as they need to .Once they have the export process figured out , I'll work with them on using the filter , etc. Thanks again for the reply .

Sorry I misread your post at first glance. I thought the report was taking 15 minutes...

Which method does the Crystal Report use to connect to the Symposium database?

We have used the canned login/logout report that comes with Symposium as well as a custom report that was created in Crystal and imported into the server . The custom report was created on the same version as the version built in SCCS , 9.0 maybe .I just received word from a friend that ran a similar report on his system , he has 6.0 . He didn't experience the same issue , even after a hour of testing . Maybe Nortel corrected a problem in 6.0 or possibly his network is not dropping the session . Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back