Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal OLE object. PDF image shrinks with Reader X 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasidebob

Programmer
Jul 26, 2012
GB
Hi
Have a Crystal XI R2 report which includes in the report an OLE object linked to a PDF file.
Since users have upgraded from Adobe Reader 9 to Adobe Reader X, the PDF image displayed when the Crystal report is output shrinks to approximately 25% of its size.
Uninstall Reader X and reinstall Reader 9 and the PDF image appears to correct size withen the Crystal Report is output.
The users needs to upgrade to Reader X.
Any ideas how to resolve this?

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about this. Crystal XI doesn't know anything about Adobe Reader X and so, sets up the OLE object so that it can be viewed by the version of Adobe Reader that it knows about. Really, I think this is an issue with the Adobe Reader itself - something changed so that it doesn't correctly show objects that were produced by software that worked with the older versions of it.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Six-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Are you talking about a printed report ? If yes then open any PDF file with Adobe Reader X , click print to show the print dialog and check page scaling option. If it is set to "Shrink to Printable area" change it to "None" and print the file. Then close Adobe Reader and try to print the report again .

Viewer, scheduler and report manager for Crystal reports and SSRS.
Send your report everywhere.

There was some success. We are finding with some users the image output is sporadically OK size.
I wondered whether this was because I got users to print a PDF file from within Reader X first, setting size options in file>print from ‘shrink oversized pages’ to ‘actual size’(same as "page scaling = none" in Reader X).
I'm uncertain about this as, although the Crystal Report with the PDF image then printed OK, it reverted back to shrunken image when printed again to the same printer - and seems to switch between successful print (image the correct size) and unsuccessful print (image appears shrunken).
I have also upgrade my Crystal Reports XI R2 to latest service pack - but no joy.

The problem appeared to be the new 'enabled protected mode at start-up' setting in Adobe Reader X.
Turn it off an all seems to be OK.
Apparently it is possible to enable this feature and then 'whitelist' other applications which may be attempting to use Adobe Reader X. I am investigating this.

I am curious. Where is the OLE object placed - at the end or in the middle of the report?

Viewer, scheduler and report manager for Crystal reports and SSRS.
Send your report everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back