Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Label report - need footer on each label in same position

Status
Not open for further replies.

demosoc

Technical User
Jun 3, 2008
US
Greetings,

Feeling a bit dim-witted here...I'm working on a label report in Crystal 9 which needs to print a barcode on the bottom of each label regardless of how long the name and accompanying info is (which needs to be positioned at the top of the label and grow downward).

Like this:

barcode

Or this:

barcode

Instead of what it keeps doing, which is this:
barcode

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

demosoc,

It would perhaps be dependent on your data structure, but I would think you need to simply put each "Line #" in it's own Detail Section and the barcode in it's own (with a blank section between for ease of formatting). Not knowing your current structure, I would suggest something like as follows:

[tt]Details a: {Table.Line 1}
Details b: {Table.Line 2}
Details c: {Table.Line 3}
Details d: {Table.Line 4}
Details e:
Details f: {Table.Barcode}[/tt]

Under the Section Expert, make sure "Suppress Blank Section" is unchecked.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------------------
"To be alive is to revel in the moments, in the sunrise and the sunset, in the sudden and brief episodes of love and adventure,
in the hours of companionship. It is, most of all, to never be paralyzed by your fears of a future that no one can foretell."

Thank you for the suggestion Mike- it seems I'd forgotten to add the most important part- unfortunately, the lines (line 1, line 2, etc.) can grow.
I actually have the label set up as you suggested, but can't seem to find a way to make the final detail line print at the bottom of the label due to the size fluctuation of the fields in the detail lines above it.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

demosoc,

Unfortunately, I am unaware of anyway around the issue you face -- if the lines above can expand (are dynamic), I don't *think* you can have the barcode remain static on each label.

There is perhaps a means of making it work by conditionally limiting the amount of "can grow" on the data items preceeding the barcode --- but if the information wasn't necessary, I would presume you would have already made this change and removed the fields and/or turned off the "Can Grow" functionality.

Hopefully it is my limitation, not the program, and another Tek-Tipper can shed some light on your situation!

Cheers!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------------------
"To be alive is to revel in the moments, in the sunrise and the sunset, in the sudden and brief episodes of love and adventure,
in the hours of companionship. It is, most of all, to never be paralyzed by your fears of a future that no one can foretell."

Mike-you got me thinking more about the details and the suppression option and I came up with a solution after looking at the data- since the dynamic fields do not exceed 2 lines, and since each detail has a different size font, I added a details section (d and e) with suppression formulas for each of the dynamic sections that were growing (a and c).

Details a: {Table.Line 1}
Details b: {Table.Line 2}
Details c: {Table.Line 3}
Details d: Suppress if Length({@Line 1})>32
Details e: Suppress if Length({@Line 3})>25
Details f: {Table.Barcode}

Again, thanks for your help. I'd nearly given up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back