Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Exe without asking for parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klutch

Programmer
Nov 3, 2000
US
My department wants to regulary run some Crystal reports via a scheduler. I figured out how to set up the reports so that user input parameters are not needed. Therefore, if I compile the reports into an EXE, I would like it to just print out the report. I would like it to not need to ask the user for any input, just run.

However, after I compile it into an exe, it still pops up a bunch of input windows. Not only does it pop a window where you have to click a "Print" button, but it asks for verification on every single hard coded field parameter.

Can a Crystal report exe be set up to just run when the exe is invoked?

On the print window deselect the box "Modify Record Selection." I had the same problem ...being prompted to aprove hardcoded sql statements. In your case where you want to run without the print window I'm not sure how you can set that.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

It looks like writing a VB exe to automatically call Crystal Reports is not too cumbersome. At least, that is the way I felt yesterday. We will see how it goes. The secret seems to be to use the CR Active X Control

Since Seagate might take away some of the exe distribution capabilities - namely, the ability to just run a compiled report without CR installed on a machine - the VB alternative again looks like the wise choice.

In case anybody has read this thread and is interested, the Crystal Reports ActiveX control is wonderful. It even gives you the means to log on the ODBC.

As a complete newbie to Visual Basic, how would I go about doing that. I too would like to run a report preconfigured ... it would be nice if you could just use command line switches after the .exe

Except there aren't any command line switches in CR. Your only option is to integrate your report with an application (VB is the most common). First step is to buy the developer's edition. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back