Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Enterprise version 8? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2000
GB
Hello
I am running Seagate Info ver 7.5 at the moment and have just received the update to move to Crystal Enterprise ver 8 (pro edition). Has anyone got anything good or bad to say about this product (based on experience), or it just like 7.5?

I also received my upgrade a few days ago, and had the same questions that you did. I received this reply from my main resource:

"No more versions beyond 7.5 of Seagate Info will be produced. Seagate Info 7.5 will be supported (bug fixes, etc.) for the long run, but will not be enhanced. Crystal Enterprise 8.0 does not have all the features of the current Seagate Info product. A 'seamless' transition from
Info to Enterprise is expected by Version 9 of Enterprise.

The one benefit of Enterprise is one-click to access reports on demand. Info does not provide that capability as you know (schedule first, then view the report Within a few months an interim release will add a DHTML report creation wizard allowing you to create reports using an existing report as the database connection. In addition, a much improved OLAP reporting tool will also become available."

So I'm going to install Enterprise 8 on a standalone test box to become familiar with it, but I have no plans to put it into production. There's also a Seagate document that addresses Info 7.5 to Enterprise migration, but I haven't downloaded it yet. Good luck.

Things to be aware of before upgrading to Enterprise from Info (it is an upgrade despite being called something else!).

There will be a number of releases of Enterprise this yeat with more and more of the Info functionality included. First version is, in my view, somewhat limiting as there are a number of things not in the first release:

No calendars or calendar templates
No events
No Info Views (will not open an Info report based on a CIV file either!!)
No report packages
No Windows desktop

If you use or think you'll use any of these then you should watch for future release details - If not then go now! David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Crystal Decisions Enterprise Partner

Dukeslater: I have tried to find that migration document on the Crystal site without success. Could you fill me in as to the location of it?
Thanks in advance.

I'm getting the impression that CE8 does not automatically upgrade SI 7.5?
Do I have to uninstall SI manually and then install CE?
Or will CE take the settings / folder locations of SI?
Write and give me the good news!

Am I going to have to move the the crystal enterprise forum once up and running?!?

SnowDude: You can run Info 7.5 and CE simultaneously - I'm doing so as we speak. All Info settings (those that are used by CE) remain in effect. If you want to replace Info with CE then I suggest you install over the top of Info (you may have to manually remove the program group) David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Crystal Decisions Enterprise Partner

A correction for David's post above: CE will support reports that use Info View .CIV files so long as they do not contain any row/field security rules.

Also, you can develop workarounds in CSP for:
- events
- calendars
- schedule to destination/format
but David is right - they are planned to be reintroduced as core functionality in future releases.

Cheers, Alan Eldridge
Melbourne, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back