Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Enterprise Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuch

MIS
Jan 8, 2003
US
Does anyone know if the 3 day course given by CD on Administering CE is any good?

Thanks!

Menuch
Report Designer

It's an overview course.

You leave with all the skills to Install a single-server environment, and manage Groups, Objects, Users, etc...but for more advanced features like multi-server clustering and CSP development you need to bring consultants on-site to give you 1-on-1 site specific training.

Is it worth taking? YES, but after it your skill-set will still have "room for growth".

Is the CE Administrator's Guide given in this class? We happened to receive a copy of the Guide without taking the course, and our sales rep seemed quite surprised when it was mentioned.

The Guide kind of makes the course unnecessary, unless you just learn better in a classroom environment. Any insights on what the "official" availability of the Admin Guide is?

In my experience, you can't get any of Crystal's Training guides that they give during their training, without taking the training.

I took the 8.5 administrators class last year when it was a 2 day class. I learned some, but I had learned more from using the software and reading the book "Special Edition USing Crystal Enterprise 8.5" by Steve Lucas and Roger Sandorn. If you can self study, then I would skip the class and read the book. It is much cheaper and you will probably learn more.

~Brian

The Crystal Enterprise Admin Guide can be purchased from Crystal Decisions' online store. Just go to and click on the online store link in the upper right had corner.

The Admin Guide also comes in pdf format with the free 5 license copy of CE Pro.

I was going to take the course, but the Admin Guide and free 5 license copy has provided me with better training, IMHO!

The Crystal Enterprise Administration Training Guide is different from the Crystal Enterprise Administrator's Guide that comes with Crystal Enterprise.

The Training Guide is only distributed when you take a formal Crystal Enterprise class from a Crystal Decisons Training Partner. However, I have sometimes seen them come up for sale on Ebay in the $50 to $75 US range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back