Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Analysis - WCS Error!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasAggie

Programmer
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all.

I have installed Crystal Analysis 9 on a development server that has Crystal Enterprise 9 Proffessional installed. According to the install guide, I had to make sure that the:

- Web Component Server add-on
- Automated Process Scheduler add-on
- Rich Client and
- Web Server support

were all to be installed on the same server as CE9. Well, I did the full install of Analysis, but when I go to view a report, I get the following message:

Web Component Server Error
An unknown error has occurred.

wcs_error.jpg

I even tried to change the WCS to use my user name / password...which has full permissions to the cube...but still get the same message.

I need to have this deployed in production this Wednesday...so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Robert aka DallasAggie

synapsevampire,

I get the error when I view through ePortfolio and through CCM. At first I thought it was just the cube permissions on the server where the cubes reside, but I get the same error when I try to view the samples that came with Analysis. I have no problem at all when viewing through the Crystal Analysis Designer.

I have one day to get this going or else my neck is on the line...I called into Crystal Tech Support and they have no idea whats going on...so hopefully some one here can help me out.

Regards,
Robert

DallasAggie - are you comfortable editing your registry? If so, there's a little known key that will probably help. Create a 'DWORD' registry key set to the value '1' at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\9.0\Web OLAP Services\logging on your WCS machine then restart your WCS and try to view the report again. You should find that this produces some entries in your event log - post them here and I may be able to tell you what is wrong.

r1ch,

You know what? When I went to the registry, there was no _LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\9.0\Web OLAP Services\logging entry. Do you think that could be causing the problem? I did a full install of Crystal Analysis on that server too.

Anyway, I just turned logging on by placing '-trace' in my WCS Command Line.

The details of the log file are pretty long so here is a link to the file:

Hope you can help. :)

Regards,
dallasaggie

No - the logging key isn't there by default - it's a seperate mechanism to the -trace system. Presumably HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\9.0\Web OLAP Services is there?

r1ch,

No, there was no "Web OLAP" key either. The only ones in there are:

- Web Component Server
- Web Connector
- Web Content

So, I did two things, I created a new key "Web OLAP Services" with 'DWORD'set to one. I then created a 'DWORD' in the Web Component Server Key...bot produce the same log file:

Timestamp ProcessID ThreadID Message
[Wed Dec 03 15:28:57 2003] 3248 964 assert failure: (Y:\silib\slib\src\sresstring.cpp:320). (false : Error printing out correct message for id: 0 Check number of variables and /%%i is matched or not. If id is 0 then check for correct number of variables).

I hope that this is what you're talking about...it doen't seem like a good troubleshooting file...but you might be able to make something out of it. I apologize for being ignorant on this...I was just kinda thrown into being the CE Admin here at work... ;)

Thanks again.
DallasAggie

D'oh - sorry - my fault... I missed a bit out of the key... Web OLAP Services is under 'Crystal Analysis Professional', so the full path should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\10.0\Crystal Analysis Professional\Web OLAP Services\logging
where logging is of type DWORD with a value of one. If you save the text below as a .reg file and then run it, that should insert the key.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\9.0\Crystal Analysis Professional\Web OLAP Services]
"logging"=dword:00000001

No worries. Well, I did find the key you were talking about and ran the reg update you included...restarted WCS and ran the report...still same error...and it looks like the lof file it created is the same as the others:..what a mess!

Timestamp ProcessID ThreadID Message
[Wed Dec 03 15:56:12 2003] 2880 2856 assert failure: (Y:\silib\slib\src\sresstring.cpp:320). (false : Error printing out correct message for id: 0 Check number of variables and /%%i is matched or not. If id is 0 then check for correct number of variables).

:(

dallasaggie.

No - the errors from that key will appear in the 'Applications' area of the NT event log - use the 'Event Viewer' in control panel to see them.

I'mm an idiot! ;) ... Okay..I got it now. Here is the message:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Crystal_WebConnector
Event Category: (15)
Event ID: 34400
Date: 12/3/2003
Time: 9:56:15 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DEV-EDS-01
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 34400 ) in Source ( Crystal_WebConnector ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: assert failure in file (Y:\backend\WebAppServer\wsconnector\src\isapi\workerpool.cpp) at line 71. (false : Request failed with code 4 and error message An unknown error has occurred.)..

Hope this helps...I got one more day now! Yippee! They gave me til tomorrow morning to have this fixed...

Thanks,
DallasAggie

Are there any other, different messages? That isn't a message that would have been enabled by that logging registry key.

r1ch,

Well..I really do appreciate you trying to help me out...but I finally got the dang thing to work! :)

Actually, I just got sick and tired of dealing with it and decided to install on our production box when there was little to no traffic on it...after installing and applying the MS SQL Analysis Services and C-Analysis Hot Fixes, the darn thing worked like a charm! whew!

I think it may just have been our development box! What a piece of junk that thing is!

Well, again...I really do appreciate your help. Hope you have a nice day...I sure am now!

Regards,
Robert aka: DallasAggie

No problem - glad that you got around it.

Hello ;)

I also got the same error message and another following message during system development.
Here is the message:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Crystal_WebConnector
Event Category: (15)
Event ID: 34400
Date: 02/11/2004
Time: 20:24
User: N/A
Computer: JPSERVER01
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 34400 ) in Source ( Crystal_WebConnector ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: assert failure in file (Y:\backend\WebAppServer\wsconnector\src\isapi\cwebisapi.cpp) at line 236. (false : ReadClient fails in CWebISAPI::CWGetPostParams)..

I hope this help. Anyone who has similar situation?

Thanks,

Nadachi

In all of the above I don't see any reference to KB c2012177 which indicates it is a time out problem. I get this error off and on. Sometimes one instance of a file can be viewed and another gets the error. I am having this change made to the registry and hope it will cure the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back