Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 8.5 Review 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTSGuru

Programmer
Jul 25, 2000
I am curious if anyone has gotten their hands on CR8.5, and what they thought of it. I am currently using v8, but v8.5 looks like it might have some nice new "toys" (i.e. XML exporting, some new web stuff, etc...)

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has used this latest version, and getting their opinions...

TIA
Fred

Fred: I'm currently running Beta2 of 8.5 and it looks fine to me. The DHTML and XML options are a significant plus as also are the alerts which can be set up rather like the hyperlinks in v8 - otherwise pretty much the same as v8 David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

I'm also very curious about the web interface. I've been having problems with V8. For no apparent reason, our Internet Explorer screens will get locked up on occasion upon activating a hyperlink to get to the report. The only way to get out, except for a hard boot, is to Cntl-alt-delete and end task on all of the iexplore.exe that are running under the processes tab. Very annoying! Plus, it's hard to teach 150 people about the only way out.

Can anyone verify Version 8.5 is being shipped today?
If not I will order Version 8 because of immediate need.

Stuff that looks good for me is the ability to show date picker and default data in drop down list box on the web. Also there is a lot more you can do to set up users on the web (e-portfolio) with their customized set of reports

I have the CR8.5 developper version and the CE8 standard which is included with the CR8.5 version. I have to say that I like it a lot. I am running on Windows2000 and have IIS5 (I work with ASP).
I installed the CE8 on my PC, and so far I think it is great. I was able to use the Management Console to publish one of my report without much problem; and this report uses a subreport based on an SQL query and 2 parameter fields. People have been able to connect to my computer and to view the report with the ePortFolio.

Here is what I dislike. The standard version included with the CR8.5 version does not allow you to create users and groups, so it is difficult to test extensively the eportfolio as to how it would behave depending on the user that is connected. Also, I still have to look into how I can modify the certain visuals; like when the system ask for the parameters, I think it does not look good and even confuses the user.

Well, I hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back