Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 8.5 Reports Run in Crystal 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

marycr

Technical User
Sep 10, 2003
US
I have written many reports using Crystal 8.5 on my PC but have not published these via the enterprise reporting (because our server was not working correctly.) Consultants are now doing a complete reinstall on the server only they are loading Version 9 rather than 8.5 onto the server. I loaded V 9 on my PC and ran my reports and they seemed to work OK with some messages needing answering and some cosmetics needing fixing. My question is...are there any issues I should be anticipating regarding moving to the V 9 when all of my reports are designed in V 8.5? Any other advice regarding the V 9 would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I have been told at the CE 9 admin school that the engine of the enterprise server will be running the report as ver 9.
You will not be able to open that particular report once it has been published to CE.
If you want to go back in and edit the report, you will have to keep a second copy some where else other than stored in CE.

Let me clarify that. IF you have ver 8.5 Crystal reports and publish to the CE 9 server, if you wanted to open that same report back up and make some changes in your 8.5 Crystal Reports, then you would hve to have kept another copy of the RPT file elsewhere.
The RPT is upgraded to a 9.0 version when it is published and 8.5 Crystal Reports cannot read 9.0 format files.

The only problems I experienced going from V8.5 to V9 was down to fonts.

As V9 has UniCode support, some fonts were not being displayed correctly. This was a font called r_ansi, I have not had any problems with standard windows fonts.

However, as a rule I would only publish V9 reports to a CE9 environment. If anything were to go wrong and you contacted Tech Support, they would simply advise you of the same.

Reebo
UK

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes." - Billy Connolly

A message appears when I try to save saying that if I save in the version 9 I will not be able to re open my reports in 8.5. So if I save in version 9 and I make changes to the report in version 9 and publish in version 9, is there a problem?

No, I wouldn't expect there to be a problem.

Reebo
UK

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes." - Billy Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back