Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 8.5 Professional Report Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pybuck

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
US
Is there any application or scripting available that will automatically generate Crystal reports Professional 8.5? Also, does this have the capibility to send out email notification to recipients of the reports?

Thanks!

There are some third party schedulers like CrystalDesk (see the links page on my web site) but I don't think this does automatic Email notification. Crystal Enterprise might do this, but it requires an NT environment. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Talking about automatic report generation, am I correct in thinking that with 8.5 developer, ASP pages can be created which in turn will generate reports?

Any help here would be grand as this is all I want the product for and it would be a waste of money....

Cheers

Doesn generate mean create or launch?
Do you mean automatically or as the result of a user input? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

If you have the cash, Crystal Info will do that....but it costs lots of $$$...Seagate Info 7.0 (older version) will work (we're running it with CR 8.5, CE 8.0) and it's free!

They used to give away 50 seats of Info 7, but I don't think Info 7 is free anymore.
Didn't they stop giving it away?
Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

MattMcCoy

I'm using CE8.0 and CR8.5 and another group wanted to use them too, but they have Seagate Info 7.0 which has the automatic report scheduling and email notification features. I couldn't find this function with CE and CR, so they decided not to buy in with us. My understanding is that CE8.5 replaces Seagate Info, can you have the two versions on the same machine? What is your configuration for running all 3 software? Did you find some documentation on this and can you pass that along, too?

Thanks so much. If we could do what you're doing, it would be great for that other department.

Karen

CE is designed to run with CR.
SI has a custom version of CR with different (incompatible) dll files. I wouldn't install both SI and CR/CE on the same PC.

I would be very suprised to hear that Info has features that are not available in CE. You might want to ask that in the CE forum, or even call Crystal sales department to confirm that these features aren't in CE. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

Yes, you would think CE would have the same functionality as Info, but apparently not.

You are able to code a solution in CSP for automatic email notification, but I found this thread that someone else asked about email scheduling in Info: thread782-100322 and apparently, there is a 3rd party vendor that has software that will automatically send emails for scheduled reports.

We might be looking into the software, since they really want to upgrade to CE.

Karen

What I am trying to see if possible is to create a company reporting prescence.

users enter parameters - a data source is hit and a report created.

I understand there is the embeddable report designer component which I can use with Interdev and if I can set this to be set to run from report expert then this would be great.

however I cannot play with it until I have a licence it keeps telling me when I try to embed it into a page.

there is no documentation on this - all decent doumentation is for VB and I dont use it.

Any information about this and how to use would be brilliant!!!

Cheers guys...

OutR@9E
-------
Enjoy while U Can!

Hi All,

Enterprise is not a "Clone" of Info. Info has alot of functionality that is not yet present in CE. Crystal told me that this is to come in future releases. At this time we run both CE and Info. Users are added to these systems based on their specific need.

You Can't Run Both On The Same Box !!!!!!

Nuffsaid.

Actually, you can install them on the same machine.

According to Crystal Decisions, in tech article "General Questions and Answers Regarding Crystal Enterprise 8" the question was asked if was possible to install Crystal Enterprise and Seagate Info 7.5.2.0 on the same machine.

The reply was: "Installing Crystal Enterprise and Seagate Info 7.5.2.0 on the same computer is supported. However, Seagate Info 7.5 should be installed first, followed by Crystal Enterprise"

We installed Seagate Info 7.5, then CE 8.0 with no installation errors. I tested whether I could use CE and had no problems. No problems encountered when I published a report, logged on CM as Admin or Guest and I also had no problems with ePortfolio functionality.

Another person tested Info functionality and he said he didn't encounter any problems with Info functions.

Karen

Kruby,

Well, this is news to me. We were advised by a Crystal Rep, not to put both on the same box, .

We took his advise and have them set up on different boxes.
(Better safe than sorry!!!)

Seems ya learn something new everyday !!!

Thx

Nuffsaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back