Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 8.5 and 9 Reports looping

Status
Not open for further replies.

nician

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
US
Using 8.5 I fill a table with a stored proc and then use the data in the table for a report. The table is being filled twice with identical data. The proc ran alone fills the table only once. I traced this to the 'verify on every print' option. When selected it runs the proc twice. I copied over the report so that I have two versions (verify on and verify off). I then opened the reports in Crystal 9 on another PC. There is no option to turn the verify on or off so I expected that both reports would fill the table once. Both filled the table TWICE. I have reviewed every option I can find in 9 but cannot find the reason for this. I then saved a copy of the report as a version 9 one and the issue remains.

Virtually every report is running twice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From this file:

"In Crystal Reports 8.5, the Verify on Every Print command sends a SQL call statement to the database to verify changes every time the report is print-previewed or printed.
The Verify on Every Print command is not available in Crystal Reports 9 in the Report Designer. However, it is possible to use this command in a development
application."

-k

Thank you for the information. The 'verify on every print',when checked, runs the proc and accounts for the double run in 8.5 version. When not checked in this version the report runs once as expected. As I earlier noted, I ran both versions in 9 and had a double run on both 8.5 versions. How could this be if that option cannot be set in 9? When converted to version 9 reports, the double runs still occur. This raises the question of 'why, if unable to set verify in version 9, does it run twice?'. One would expect one result set returned. I assume there is a setting somewhere in Crystal 9 that is causing the double run. Where that setting is, report designer or query engine, or what that setting is, I am unable to find. Since the 'Differences' documentation states that the 'Verify on Every Print command is not available in the designer but can be used in a development app' one would have expected both 8.5 versions to run once in Crystal 9. Since both versions ran twice I suspect some setting is causing the Verification to be run as a default by the new query engine or the report.

I agree, it is odd, which implies that CR 9 does this by default.

When you saved the report, did it have Verify on Every Print selected?

-k

I had one version with 'verify' checked and one version with it not checked. The 'unchecked' version should not have run twice. I am continuing to look into the issue. If Crystal is using a 'forward only' recordset the double read will happen whereas a dynamic recordset will not loop.

I believe CR 9.0 is set to verify on every print and cannot be changed. I have seen it verify the database when printing. This may be causing your problem.

Thanks for your thoughts. Our guess is in agreement with you. If Seagate is using a 'forward only' cursor it will cause the multiple runs. We found that by changing our development application to a 'dynamic' cursor AND using Sybase 12's latest update and Crystal 8.5 it does not run multiple times. Using the 'dynamic' cursor on the last version of Sybase didn't help anything. Nor did changing to Crystal 9. If our suspicions are correct we are going to have to think long and hard about going to Crystal 9. We have NOT tried Crystal 9 on the latest version of Sybase with a 'dynamic' cursor.

Crystal 9 now uses the Verify on First Refresh option. Did you check your Report Options to see if this has been enabled, and therefore saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back