Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 7 Vs 8 on ASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshone

Programmer
Jul 30, 2001
GB
I have numerous ASP Applications on my server which all use Crystal Reports.
The version 7 ones worked fine until I introduced version 8 reports to a new site.

Does it matter which version of CrystalReports you use on a server. The Server has Crystal 7 installed and all Crystal 8 reports have been saved as 7.

Theoretically, if you've saved your V8 reports as V7 and didn't get any errors, you should be okay.

One test would be to run the "V8 saved as V7" reports through the V7 Crystal Designer on a PC. Brian J. Alves
Email: brian.alves@worldnet.att.net
VB / ASP / Crystal / SQLServer

All reports work when run through the designer.

and when saving the reports from 8 to 7 I get no error messages.

I use SmartViewActiveX.asp and rptserver.asp to create the crystal page.
As long as I have created my site as an application in IIS then this should work, surely ?

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=&quot;VBScript&quot;>
<!--
Sub Page_Initialize
On Error Resume Next
Dim webBroker
Set webBroker = CreateObject(&quot;WebReportBroker.WebReportBroker&quot;)
if ScriptEngineMajorVersion < 2 then
window.alert &quot;IE 3.02 users on NT4 need to get the latest version of VBScript or install IE 4.01 SP1. IE 3.02 users on Win95 need DCOM95 and latest version of VBScript, or install IE 4.01 SP1. These files are available at Microsoft's web site.&quot;
CRViewer.ReportName = Location.Protocol + &quot;//&quot; + Location.Host +&quot;/Personnel/rptserver.asp&quot;
else
Dim webSource
Set webSource = CreateObject(&quot;WebReportSource.WebReportSource&quot;)
webSource.ReportSource = webBroker
webSource.URL = Location.Protocol + &quot;//&quot; + Location.Host + &quot;/Personnel/rptserver.asp&quot;
webSource.PromptOnRefresh = True
CRViewer.ReportSource = webSource
end if
CRViewer.ViewReport
End Sub
-->
</SCRIPT>

I don't know. Perhaps it has something to do with the DLLs used for data access. Maybe the format of the report is V7 but the DLLs that it's looking for are specific to V8. Brian J. Alves
Email: brian.alves@worldnet.att.net
VB / ASP / Crystal / SQLServer

I don't know if this helps but when you install version 8 on a machine you install version 8 of cpeaut32.dll, which is the crystal reports version 8 engine. It over writes version 7. Even if you uninstall 8 and reinstall 7 you still will have the version 8 engine on your system.

If you installed version 8 on your server then it is using crystal reports version 8 engine and your viewer will not work.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back