Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 11 multiple DB login problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverDraft

Programmer
Jul 25, 2005
US
We're in the process of upgrading from Crystal 8.5 to version 11 (Developer edition). It's been installed on a couple of machines so far and the only problem we've encountered is with reports that need to connect to more than one database. We don't have a whole lot of reports like that but there are enough that we need to resolve this before rolling it out any further.

It seems when Crystal prompts for the logon/password information for the second database, it ignores what you enter the first time and then either works or delivers an "account locked" type of response the second try. (This is in a Windows XP environment with IBM DB2 databases.)

I'm wondering, is it trying to connect without an ID/password and then displaying a prompt after it's actually failed? If so, does Crystal have an installation parameter of some sort that can switch that behavior to always issuing the prompt? (If not, then what else do you suppose might be causing the password to be locked when trying to connect to the second DB?)

You may need to set up the links to the databases again. Especially if they are ODBC. I've upgraded from CR9 to CR10 to CRXI and each time I had to make sure all the db links were connecting correctly. No worries once the ODBC is pointing to the right location.

Eric P

Thanks Eric - the reports I was testing do all use ODBC connections. But could you elaborate a bit on this?

I tried deleting the link as you said. Then I saved the report, and created the link again. But I got the same problem. Did you mean something else when you said "set up the links again"?

Well, I thought of something else this morning. I thought maybe the fact that I didn't close down Crystal in between removing the links and creating them again might have been the reason this didn't work. (Like maybe the DB connections were still in place and needed to be terminated.)

So this time I deleted the links, saved the report, and closed out of Crystal. Then I opened up Crystal and added the links back in. Unfortunately, I still got the same results.

But I still think maybe it's just me doing something wrong because I also tried creating a brand new test report from scratch setting up the same databases/tables/links and that report works just fine.

Anybody else have any ideas?? [ponder]

Ahhh, now I get it. I created a new alias in the ODBC Administrator and the went into Crystal and reset the DB location updating it with the alias I had just created.

Seems pretty mickey-mouse to have to do that but it did work. [mickey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back