Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRX140e only has CR-ROM capability

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesimoni

Technical User
Nov 3, 2003
US
I have a Dell computer, with a Sony CRX140E, in the E drive. I originally ran Win ME but installed Win XP over it. Since the change, I haven't been able to use the Adaptec EZ cd creator software which came with the computer. Since the change, I tried to uninstall the Adaptec program, however, it won't completely uninstall
I was able to use the software burning capability that comes bundled with XP up until recently, however, when I last tried, it wouldn't recognize the blank CD-R disc in the drive.
When I examine the device in the device mananager, It shows it as a CD-ROM device, not a CD-RW device. I tried testing the device through the Sony websight, which concluded the device can both read and write. It seems as though the operation system reads this device as a CD-ROM device instead of a CD-RW device.
It appears that it is using the same Windows driver as
the CD-ROM device in my D drive. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the device and driver, this didn't change anything.
Now in XP, I don't get the option to copy files to CD.
I am at my wits end, and would appreciate any help in getting this device working again.

Update
Since my post, I was able to use the system restore to go back to a point where this device was properly configure, and thus it now works.
I would love to know what the problem was, and any suggestions for cd burning software to utilize which would not conflict with XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back