Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crw32.exe has created errors.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenman

MIS
Jan 10, 2001
US
I am working with Crystal 8 on a Windows 2000 Pro machine with a SQL 2000 data source.
When trying to advance through the pages of the preview or trying to print, I get the message "crw32.exe has created errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."
This happens when trying to view past page 2 in the preview and page 21 when printing.
I am thinking it is something that must be tied to the document as I get the same results on a different machine.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello

When you get this error, do you get a chance to click on a details button? If you do, could you tell me what the first few lines of the message is? This information might help me to narrow down what the underlying issue is.

Can you also tell me if you are going ODBC or Natively to your database? Do you have any NULLs in the database? one thing you can do is to click on file and then Report Options and you can toggle on and off the Convert Null to Default.

I look forward to your response.
E. McEvoy
Crystal Reports Consultant

Thank you for responding.
Once the error message appears, Crystal seems to be shutting down and does not allow me to do anything within it. I am connecting to the database via an ODBC connection.
There are NULLs in the database. Turning on the "Convert NULL to default" did not help.
This one really has me stumped.
Thanks for your input.

J

Hi there

When the error message creates the error log, have you looked at it to see what exactly it says in there? If you wish, you can send it to my email address at emcevoy@pacificridgesolutions.com I will take a look at it from there.

I look forward to your response. E. McEvoy
Crystal Reports Consultant

Hi

To locate the error log, you can produce the error again and then do a search for a event.log file with the date/time of the error. This will give you the location, you can then open this event.log file and should give you the date, report and event that happened. for example,

12/08/02, 10:12:40, 4, 0, C:\REPORTS\{F88804A0-AD57-11D3-BFDF-00A0C9999612}.rpt:There are not enough free System Resources to perform this operation.

Let me know what you find out. It could be system resources for your issue also, if this is the case, a couple things you can do:

1. Clearing out the Temp folder will free up a lot or room. A lot of programs generate temp files and some times the temp folder can get pretty large. There is usually no problem cleaning out your temp files but if you have some reservations you should talk to your Systems Technicians about which files you can delete from the temp folder.

2. You can also move the directory that contains the report to another partition with more space.

3. Check how much memory and temp space that you have. Increasing your temp space is also a good idea if you run into the above error message.

Other things you can check also:

you are connected via ODBC, make sure that you uncheck the option under 'FILE->OPTIONS->REPORTING TAB->"USE SERVER OR INDEXES FOR SPEED". This box will also need to be unchecked under the 'FILE->REPORT OPTIONS->"USE SERVER OR INDEXES FOR SPEED" as well. After that is complete, go to the DATABASE-> VERIFY DATABASE option. Once this is complete try previewing the report again.

2) If the previous step fails contact the database administrator and get them to re-compact and re-index that data source. There may be some corrupt entries in the index, and basic maintenance will help prevent errors from occurring.

3) Once the two previous steps have been taken, the next step would be to check the report. Was this report created in a previous or different bit format of SCR. For example some errors may occur if a report was created in version 6 and then opened again in version 7. Again, this could also happen if the report was created in 16 bit and then re-opened in a 32-bit version of SCR, or vice-versa. If either of these are the case you way want to make sure that you have all the proper upgrades and maintenance releases of SCR. This leads us to the fourth possibility...

4) If you have upgraded your version of SCR to a newer version some errors may occur due to outdated dll's. The best thing to do in this case is to make sure that you have all your reports safely stored away in a secure directory. Make sure Crystal reports is closed down, and uninstall SCR from your machine. After you have uninstalled SCR, go to your WINDOWS\CRYSTAL directory and delete the CRYSTAL directory. DO NOT DELETE YOUR WINDOWS DIRECTORY!!! Only delete the CRYSTAL directory within the WINDOWS directory. Next you will need to find your SEAGATE CRYSTAL REPORT directory and delete it. It is usually installed in the C:\PROGRAM FILES\SEAGATE SOFTWARE\CRYSTAL REPORTS directory. Delete the CRYSTAL REPORTS directory ONLY!! Do not delete any other directory. Once these steps have been taken, restart your computer and do a fresh install of Crystal Reports. This will sometimes resolve problems with errors such as the one you are having.

I hope that this helps point you in the right direction.

If the problem persists, or if there is anything else that we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will gladly help you further. Take care! =)
Eileen McEvoy
Authorized Crystal Engineer
Crystal Reports Consultant and Trainer
emcevoy@crystalconsulting.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back