Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRViewer - Crystal 8 Verus Crystal 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

computergeek

Programmer
May 23, 2001
CA
Hello,

I am trying to reconfigure an existing ASP/Coldfusion application that uses Crystal Reports 8 & RDC to call and display reports now in Crystal Reports 11.

The ActiveX viewer is called from within the ASP code (SmartViewerActiveX.asp):

OBJECT ID="CRViewer"
CLASSID="CLSID:C4847596-972C-11D0-9567-00A0C9273C2A"
WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=95%
CODEBASE="/viewer/activeXViewer/activexviewer.cab#Version=8,0,0,224">
<PARAM NAME="EnableRefreshButton" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableGroupTree" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="DisplayGroupTree" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnablePrintButton" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableExportButton" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableDrillDown" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableSearchControl" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableAnimationControl" VALUE=1>
<PARAM NAME="EnableZoomControl" VALUE=1>
</OBJECT>

I have purchased Crystal Reports XI Developer. How do I change the code to use a new Activex Viewer object? How do I obtain the classid of the Crystal Reports XI ActiveX object? Where do I find the object on the CD?

Thanks,

Hi,

I figured out my problem. For those others looking for direction... I am not sure if this is entirely correct, but this is what I did to change my application from CR8 to CR11 using RDC (written in ASP, and Coldfusion):

1. Installed CR11 developer to server
2. Setup Virtual Path within IIS for ActiveX component
C:\program files\common...\Busines objects\3.0\CrystalReportsViewers11\activexcontrols
3.Checked registry to get classid for activex control
hkey_classes_root
Crystalreports.activexreportviewer
CLSID
CurVer
4. Changed code to use new activex control
page: Smartvieweractivex.asp
5. migrated reports from Crystal Reports 8 to 11
6. ran applicaiton and opened report using CR11 viewer

Still trying to figure out a few things though. Like why is pdf not listed as one of the exportable file types?

Did you get this to work? I am having issues getting my Crystal reports XI to display. Any ideas?

Can you provide an example of code?

Hi,

Is yours a fresh install/setup of Crystal Reports XI on your web server, or are your reports currently running with an older version of Crystal Reports? For me, we have Crystal Reports 8, and XI developer installed on our web server. I have changed the the Smartviewer.asp page to reference the new Crystal Reports XI ActiveX viewer... I migrated a couple of the reports, and then selected them through my development version of my application. The report opens, shows the icons I want (ie export, print) etc at the top of the viewer, but the export list does not contain pdf. I think it might not be available within the ActiveX viewer for RDC, I know however that pdf does show as an option in our other applicatons (Java) that use the JRC method... It could be that Java/Crystal have a licensing agreement, and Windows/Crystal does not - so I am thinking that if the users need pdf I might have to do some coding changes, or switch (rewrite parts of the application) to the JRC method that uses a different viewer.

If you need sample code for RDC I can send it... but if you are just creating your application, I would recommend implementing the JRC method to invoke/display your reports. The reason is that RDC method is being depreciated after Crystal Reports XI SP2.

JRC - Java Reporting Component
RDC - Report Designer Component

Computergeek

I am running ColdFusion 8 (locally) and Crystal Reports XI. I do not have a previous version installed.

Code example would really help me a lot. Do you have code examples of both?

Thx.

Thx for the link. How do I integrate the code with ColdFusion?

Looking for the keys in the registry there is a setting for CrystalReports10.WebReportBroker.1 but not CrystalReports11.WebReportBroker.1.

Any ideas?

Hello,

Since I was still having troubles figuring things out I downloaded the files noted within the link, created my virtual directory... tried running the report. The viewer is displayed, but no report retrieved. Where in the registry is the webreportbroker?

I thought you had this resolved?

If you perform a search you will find the Registry key under HKEY_CLASSESS_ROOT. You will find:

CrystalReports.ActiveXReportViewer
-> Version 10
CrystalReports.WebReportBroker
-> Version 10
CrystalReports.WebReportSource
-> Version 10
CrystalReports10.ActiveXReportViewer.1
-> Version 10

There is a CrystalReports.CrystalReportsViewer which is for version 11.0.

Hi,

Have you installed either the Crystal Reports 11 runtime on the server, or installed Crystal Reports Developer? I have Crystal Reports Developer loaded on our test web server.

CrystalReports.ActiveXReportViewer
-> crystalreports11.activex.reportviewer.1

CrystalReports.WebReportBroker
-> crystalreports11.activex.reportbroker.1
CrystalReports.WebReportSource
-> Version 11
CrystalReports10.ActiveXReportViewer.1
-> Version 11

Report still does not open though...although (as usual) I have been interrupted about 5,000 times today and haven't spent much time on this. I think maybe there is a path problem and it can't locate the datasource for the report or something?

Hello,

Do you have any idea when or how the oRpt object is set? How does it know to open simplepreview.rpt?

I am trying to figure this out. I do not know if I am having issues with the DLL or Crystal Reports XI registry values.

Hi,

I was reading on the Internet that "reports appear blank when auth fails" it is usually a data connectivity issue. I am not sure, but I think there is a dll that is called. I noticed within the configuration properties for my test IIS app on the App Mappings tab for .rpt ti points to
c:\program files\seagate software\wcs\wcsinsapi.all - for me this is the wrong version as the seagate directory is Crystal 8 (for other apps)... I think wcs is Web Component ? ...

This is getting frustrating. This demo should work.

I agree it is frustrating. I do know, on my end, there is no connectivity issue because I am just trying to display a sample report with an image. The report is not connecting to the dbase. I figured I would start there then try to display a report with data from a dbase.

Hi,

The problem was that the Crystal Reports Developer XI sp1 install did not automatically setup the proper permissions of our detault web user for the EMFGen.dll object.
I ran RegMon (see This tool helped indicate a Access Denied issue when it tried to run some of the Crystal objects.
1. Downloaded RegMon, and excluded a number of processes (filtered them out)
2. File menu > Cleared output page , then Start Capture... in RegMon
3. Ran my web page that wasn't working
4. Stopped Capture within Regmon, and examined output
5. Searched for Access Denied...
Problem with Typelib for EMFGen.dll
Noted key, and user
6. Ran Regedt32, within TypeLib searched for key A3530F95
7. Selected this key, noted it was a Crystal object
8. Security Menu > permissions
9. Added user noted within RegMon listing that got Access Denied error.
10. Ran my web page again... HEY!! The Crystal Reports Demo apps now WORK!

Crystal Reports noted that should have automatically setup users with read access to the control... well, it didn't so you have it do it manually.

Only other recommendation is to install Crystal Reports Developer XI SP2, instead of SP1.

I hope this makes some sense, and is of some help to someone else.

Computergeek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back