Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crosstalk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
We have a Norstar MICS 6.1 KSU with a mix of t7316e and M7310 phones. Users are complaining of cross talk on calls. It's hard to replicate. We're told it occurs on external calls AND internal calls. Again hard to replicate.

I rebooted the KSU and changed the CI cards with a new set. Still the problem persists.

Phone lines are coming from a cable modem by Optimum. This is a school.

We have a spare station module in service with no extensions attached. What else is recommended?

Looks like KSU or software corruption.
STARTUP may help get rid of corruption.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Can I restore from a backup or do I need to reprogram?

I find it hard to believe crosstalk on a digital phones.

Digital from KSU to phone but who knows what evil lurks on the motherboard.

Restoring from a backup might help and would be first choice.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Seen lots of crosstalk on C.O. lines but never on internal calls. Not to say it can't happen. Can't help but be skeptical of customer reports.

A good way to troubleshoot crosstalk on C.O. lines is to disconnect the lines at the demarc then put your tone generator on line 1 while listening to line 2, then line 3, then line 4, etc. with your buttset in monitor. Then put your toner on line 2 and listen to 3, 4, etc. Then put toner on line 3 and listen to 4, etc. Clean, balanced lines will be totally silent with no tone bleed over.

Yes I find it hard to believe internal calls cross talk with external calls.

Is it possible that 25-30 feet of Cat5e wiring could be at fault? The Cable company mounted their equipment next to the Norstar, however they run 20 feet of Cat5 to the Verizon demarc, connect there and then the existing house cables carry dial tone back to the KSU. We're talking across a room and back, 15-20' maybe in each direction.

That may be first choice is to go from cable box directly to the Norstar and see.

Thank you!!

I would get more details from the client.
So many scenarios but know which might help.

Type of calls:
Conversation A - Internal to External
Conversation B - Internal to External
The there is also:
Conversation A - Internal to Internal
Conversation B - Internal to External
or
Conversation A - Internal to External
Conversation B - Internal to Internal

Then the cross-talk:

Internal person at A can hear External caller on B
Internal person at A can hear Internal caller on B
Internal person at B can hear External caller on B
Internal person at B can hear Internal caller on B

Internal person at A can hear both on B
External person at B can hear both on A

If its always 2 external callers with 2 internal callers the most likely carrier/trunk issue.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I could not replicate the problem for 2 hours. Their story varies.

Will keep you guys updated!!

To follow up, I replaced the cabling from the telco dmarc to the Norstar and the problem has disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back