Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crosstab question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Aug 6, 2001
AT
hi evryone!

my question:
i have a crosstab showing followong information:
jan 100
feb 150
mar 80
apr 200

is it possible to sort the data, like top n sorting,
to get following output? (most value, lesser)
apr 200
feb 150
jan 100
mar 80

i hope this question isn't too dummy ;-) but i didn't
find a way to sort a crosstab yet

thanx for responses in advance
chris

in the cross-tab report expert (in the cross tab section)

you will see a button called change summary...
you can do some sort stuff through there..
hope it helps

cheers
dev5

Actually, you can't do it using the cross tab expert.
You will have to create a manual cross tab.
See my FAQ for more information Howard Hammerman,

Crystal Reports training, consulting, books, training material, software, and support. Scheduled training in 8 cities.
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

If you are using the current version of CR, you can select the cross tab and then go to Report - TopN. This will open a TopN window for the cross-tab rows, and it will allow you to do what you are looking for. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

No Ken,

If all you have in the report is the cross tab, the
'top N' expert is not avialable. If you add groups to the report in addition to the cross tab, you can (after creating a summary field) sort on the group total or select the top N. However that has NO impact on the cross-tab.

-- howard Howard Hammerman,

Crystal Reports training, consulting, books, training material, software, and support. Scheduled training in 8 cities.
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

Howard, I do believe you are mistaken. I just taught my students to do this today. Unfortunately, it is a feature you have to stumble across, because it is designed so poorly. It should be a setting within the cross-tab expert, not the menu.

Even if all you have in the report is the Cross-tab (Created with the Cross-tab expert), if you first SELECT THE CROSSTAB by clicking in its upper left hand corner, you can then use the TopN menu to control the rows of the cross-tab. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back