Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crosstab Query and where 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorling

Technical User
Mar 25, 2004
GB
i got a query and a form, On the form it as the year which i need to display, it is in a text box.[Forms]![switchboardforH&S]![txtyears] that is where it is.

i need the crosstab query to only display this year results

this is the SQL of the query this work fine

Code:
TRANSFORM Count(tblAccident.[Date/Time of Accident]) AS [CountOfDate/Time of Accident]
SELECT tblDepartment.Department
FROM (tblDepartment INNER JOIN tblPerson ON tblDepartment.Department = tblPerson.Department) INNER JOIN tblAccident ON tblPerson.ID = tblAccident.PersonID
WHERE ((((Format([Date/Time of Accident],"yyyy")))="2004"))
GROUP BY tblDepartment.Department
PIVOT Format([Date/Time of Accident],"mmmm");

but if i use this, which is the one that take the year value from the text box on the form it does not work

Code:
TRANSFORM Count(tblAccident.[Date/Time of Accident]) AS [CountOfDate/Time of Accident]
SELECT tblDepartment.Department
FROM (tblDepartment INNER JOIN tblPerson ON tblDepartment.Department = tblPerson.Department) INNER JOIN tblAccident ON tblPerson.ID = tblAccident.PersonID
WHERE ((((Format([Date/Time of Accident],"yyyy")))=[Forms]![switchboardforH&S]![txtyears]))
GROUP BY tblDepartment.Department
PIVOT Format([Date/Time of Accident],"mmmm");

the error msg I get is "The Microsoft Jet database engine does not recognize '[Forms]![switchboardforH&S]![txtyears]' as a valid field name or expression. (Error 3070)

How can i fix this problem

thanks a lot

You must select Query|Parameters and then enter:
[Forms]![switchboardforH&S]![txtyears] Integer

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

THAT WORK FINE

if say the year in [Forms]![switchboardforH&S]![txtyears] is 2004

and i want to display 2004 and 2003 and 2002

how want i go about it

i try [Forms]![switchboardforH&S]![txtyears]-1 but no luck

Try:
WHERE Year([Date/Time of Accident]) Between [Forms]![switchboardforH&S]![txtyears] - 2 AND [Forms]![switchboardforH&S]![txtyears]

Duane
MS Access MVP

Duane -- your a bloody genius!
Thanks,
Chris

"It doesn't matter how idiot-proof you make it, someone makes a better idiot!"
- Bazooka Joe

Hi!,
I am having the same problem and did not understand where to add the "Integer" part.
I am working on a cross-tab query which i have never worked with before and am taking over a project from another employee who has used it for the project. I have 2 cross tab queries, the results of which are used joined using a union query. The Union query results are dumped into a table using a make-table query. I now need to just get records from this table where the date field (format is mmmm, yyyy) matches the datefield in the form which is in the same format. But i get the message saying that the database engine does not recognize the Forms![abc]![def] as a valid field name.
Please help me address this issue. I have read that i need to declare the type of data the object contains whether it is text or integer ect., but don't know where to add it.
Thanks.

While in the design view of the query using the criteria, select from the menu [tt]Query|Parameters[/tt] and enter the exact parameters and their data types.

Duane
MS Access MVP

Thanks Duane.
I jus' made a make table query out of the final query and used the check on the table data in a new query and thus got the problem solved. Thanks for ur input still as i learnt quite abit of crosstab queries.

I have:

TRANSFORM Sum(nz(a.Credit)-(nz(a.Debit))) AS TotalThisMonth
SELECT Month(a.Date) & "/" & Year(a.Date) AS MonthYear
FROM AccountEntries AS a
WHERE ((Year([a].[Date])=2004) AND ((a.Property) Is Not Null)) AND ((Exists (Select b.ID, b.ParentID from AccountEntries as b where b.ParentID = a.ID))=False)
GROUP BY Year(a.Date), Month(a.Date) & "/" & Year(a.Date)
ORDER BY Month(a.Date) & "/" & Year(a.Date), Year(a.Date)
PIVOT a.Property;

to which I get:

The Microsoft Jet database engine does not recognize 'a.ID' as a valid field name or expression.

So I try putting in a parameter:

PARAMETERS [a].[id] Long;
TRANSFORM Sum(nz([a].[Credit])-(nz([a].[Debit]))) AS TotalThisMonth
SELECT Month([a].[Date]) & "/" & Year([a].[Date]) AS MonthYear
FROM AccountEntries AS a
WHERE (((a.Property)<>"51 N. Maple" And (a.Property) Is Not Null) AND ((Year([a].[Date]))=2004) AND ((Exists (Select b.ID, b.ParentID from AccountEntries as b where b.ParentID = [a].[ID]))=False))
GROUP BY Year([a].[Date]), Month([a].[Date]) & "/" & Year([a].[Date])
ORDER BY Month([a].[Date]) & "/" & Year([a].[Date]), Year([a].[Date])
PIVOT a.Property;

To which it replies by asking me to supply a value for a.id

But I don't want to have to supply a value. I already specified a value by the sub-select. Any way around this?

Your query may not like the use of the table alias. Also, I have found that crosstabs in general do not like subqueries.

Duane
MS Access MVP

You may try this:
TRANSFORM Sum(Nz(a.Credit)-Nz(a.Debit)) AS TotalThisMonth
SELECT Format(a.Date, "mm/yyyy") AS MonthYear
FROM AccountEntries AS a LEFT JOIN AccountEntries AS b ON a.ID=b.ParentID
WHERE Year(a.Date)=2004 AND a.Property Is Not Null AND b.ParentID Is Null
GROUP BY Format(a.Date, "mm/yyyy")
ORDER BY Format(a.Date, "mm/yyyy"), Year(a.Date)
PIVOT a.Property;

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

dhookom: When a subquery acts on the same table as the main part of the query, I see no other way besides using an alias at least for the subquery portion. I chose to use aliases both in the main portion as well as the subquery for brevity's sake; retaining the table's full name for the main part of the query seems to make no sense. But I think you're right about subqueries and transform statements.

PHV: Yours seems to do what I need it to. I guess I was making things needlessly complicated with that subselect. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back