Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crosstab comparison of monthly data by year 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMGroup

MIS
Apr 10, 2006
CA
I'm using Crystal 12.1 with a SQL database. The data itself is perfect. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to display it the way I want and I don't know if it's even possible in a crosstab report.

The columns are sorting chronologically (Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Mar 2012, ... Jan 2013, Feb 2013). I think I need some kind of custom sort (Jan 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2012, Feb 2013, Mar 2012, etc). Is there some way to sort the columns to get this result?

Thanks in advance!

Right click on the column caption, select menu "Column Options" -> "Group Options" and inside the second combo box select "in specified order".

Tools for Crystal reports and SSRS.

Thanks. I saw that but wasn't sure it would work. If I create a specified sort order, I'd have to change the report every month to add the new month into it. I can't seem to wrap my head around a dynamic sort that would sort by month but alternate the years. Guess I'll just have to play with it and see what I can come up with.

You should be able to create a formula using the Month function & then sort on the formula field.
Month({TableName.DateField})

Thanks for verifying that, tld68. I was just beginning to think along those lines. This lets me know that I'm heading in the right direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back