Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorganG

MIS
Sep 25, 2000
US
Is there some sort of serial cross-over cable for a Cisco 2500 router? I have two 2500's that I would like to connect (via the 60 pin serial interface) together for testing purposes. [sig][/sig]

Yes there is a cable that can be purchased to connect two Cisco Routers together via the serial interface. It is known as a Cisco DTE/DCE cable and is used to simulate a WAN connection. If using this type of cable it is necessary to enter a clock rate into the routers configuration. This is because the interface uses synchronous transmission. (normally the clocking would be done via an external CSU\DSU.

At the serial interface in question in the exec you set clocking via the

clock rate 56000 command.

Hope this helps. [sig][/sig]

TrevorH13, Thanks for your reply. I searched the Cisco web site for information on this cable. I couldn't find anything about it. Do you have a part number ??????? [sig][/sig]

Just to add Trevorh13, I believe only one router should be configured to place a clock on the line. [sig][/sig]

I got my crossover on ebay for 30 bux.. if you buy it anywhere else it costs about 75. Search ebay for DTE DCE cable.. there is a guy that sells them.

Make your own for about $2. Just connect pin 1-4 and pin 2-5 and the rest straight through. I made it and I used it, per Cisco tech support.

Brian [sig][/sig]

Sorry about that, I misread the original post. I made a T1 RJ-45 cable. My apologies.

Brian [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back