Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crosslinked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibach

Technical User
Jul 4, 2002
US
A friend is running W98 that starts to boot and then shuts down. When I tried a floppy boot disk to run in safe mode, scandisk reports 42 crosslinked files in 2 folders,system and drwatson. How can I delete these folders and reboot if that is the remedy.
Thanks, ibach

Hi,

I would start the machine up in command prompt only mode and run scandisk c: and let it fix all the crosslinked files - and then do a full surface scan.
Press Shift F8 when "Starting Windows 98" comes up on screen, just before config.sys starts being executed.

Once it has finished you can press ctrl alt del to reboot and (hopefully) start up as usual.

John

John
Thanks for the reply, I forgot to tell you that sandisk did try to fix it, but the hd just kept blinking forever. I will try it from the command prompt next.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back