Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cross talk on home phone, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

njadmin

Technical User
Sep 5, 2006
US
I've tried searching but didn't really find anything.
Seems I have a problem with x-talk in my apartment. It's obviously intermittent and hard to get the condition for Verizon tech to test. I was wondering if anyone might have some ideas on how to troubleshoot something like this when you only have access to one half of the problem. I know somebody opened the NID box and I've had VZ come out and verify and close it. Our building has the old POTS caps from the 20's (the ceramic screw type) on the inside of the building and I don't see any obvious cross overs. The line doesn't ring through but I can hear dial tone and talking fairly clear while I'm on a call. I'm just wonder what steps I could take here.

Thanks

Jason

On POTS service "ground" would only be an issue with the protector/NID, not the phone itself. Unless you were on a multi-party line, the ground connection has no use in the telset, and to my knowledge party lines have not existed in years in the US.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back