Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cropping digital images ready for online printing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyLuv

Programmer
Nov 27, 2004
IT
I have some digital photos which are 3072 x 2048 and I guess they are the standard 72dpi. I want to send them to an online printing company to get back images which are 6" by 4" (15cm by 10cm)

Similarily I have some huge 7015 x 4096 300dpi images that I want to get back at A2 size (42cm x 59.4cm) and they state that the minimum requirement for an A2 print is a 2976x4209 capture at 180dpi.

So how should I prepare the images to get them to the correct aspect ratio whilst maintaining the quality? I seem to remember using a tool a long time ago in Photoshop which allowed me to drag the correct aspect ratio onto the image and then adjust its size until it captured most of my photo.

Is there any way to do this in Macromedia Fireworks as I don't have PS anymore?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

From what I know of fireworks, it won't handle the size files you are trying to work with, not the really large one anyway.
for printing you really want image quality of at least 300 dpi, although if they say they can work with less, so be it.
with your smaller image, I think you may possibly be able to resave the image at 180 dpi, but I'm not sure that it will allow you to export it- and they won't be able to use a png to print from I don't think.

I'd suggest trying fireworks, and if it won't work, have a look at any of the free trials available for photo editing software.

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

Cheers for the response but in the end I downloaded a trial of Adobe Photoshop and used their 6"by4" and A3 cropping templates. I was just hoping that Fireworks would be able to do the job as I'll need to do this beyond the end of my free Photoshop trial.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Mark

In PS you don't really need to crop, you can go to image and change the image size...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back