Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crontab trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

webscripter

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
I'm new to linux and I have a friend that has a friend who can't get crontab to work. He want's to know if I know how to install it.

At a glimpse it looks like crontrab installs at the linux installation time. Is this correct? Can it be reinstalled without running the whole system installation?

I'm relating to windows command.com when I think of crontab.

Thanks
Tricia
yorkeylady@earthlink.net

crontab is part of the cron package. You can verify cron is installed by using the RPM query: rpm -q cron
You are correct cron is usually installed on Linux systems and cron can be installed without redoing the entire system by doing a rpm -ihv cron from the installation media directory where cron is located.
What problem is your friend having? Is he getting a "command not found" error when he types crontab at the command line or is there an error like?: You (username) are not allowed to use this program (crontab)

It's a permission denied error, but he has root access Thanks
Tricia
yorkeylady@earthlink.net

I guess it wasn't installed by default and now he wants to install it manually. Can he do that? And wouldn't he get a different error than permission denied if the command wasn't found? Thanks
Tricia
yorkeylady@earthlink.net

He can install it, but if he is getting a permission denied then the crontab application exists. He could try adding his username to /var/spool/cron/allow and make sure his user name is not in /var/spool/cron/deny. If any usernames are listed in allow then only those users can have a crontab.
Root however should not have a problem running this, check for the existance of crontab in /usr/bin and make sure it has executable permission for all
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 22640 Mar 23 2002 crontab

That fixed it! Thank you for helping this newbie.

I can't wait to get my Linux cds that I just ordered installed and operational.

Thanks
Tricia
yorkeylady@earthlink.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back