Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crontab Sco Opnerserver 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellit

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2007
IT
Hi,

when I modify crontab file in the /var/opt/spool/cron/crontabs (file root), it is necessary to restart the server make operating the modifications.
It is possible avoid the restart?
Thanks

An edit of the crontab wouldn't normally require a reboot as far as I know. This therefore appears to be an issue with how you're modifying the crontab.

Can you describe exactly how you are modifying the crotab please?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

man crontab

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

You can redirect your active crontab by:
#cd /tmp
#crontab -l > cronfile
Now you can edit (vi) cronfile, make your modifications and then activate it by:
#crontab cronfile

You can check if it's active by:
#crontab -l

No reboot required.

The above replies are the "correct" way to accomplish what you want, but if you've already modified the crontab entry with "vi" and want to affect the change without rebooting, you just need to kill the existing "cron" background process and restart. The kill cannot include a "-9" modifier (nor do you need one).
Code:
# ps -ef|grep cron|grep -v grep
    root  1286     1  0   Feb-05 ?            00:00:01 /etc/cron
# kill 1286
# /etc/cron

Don't do this while connected via modem unless you first telnet back to the box to be on a different tty.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back