Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crontab automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu78

Programmer
May 29, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am trying to create a crontab file for one user which must be replicated across sevaral servers, I want to script this;

This is what I have, is there a better way?

echo "newuser" >> /etc/cron.d/cron.allow
touch /var/spool/cron/crontabs/newuser
chown -R root:sys /var/spool/cron/crontabs/newuser
echo "45 23 * * * $HOME/bin/log.ksh 0 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22 * * *" /var/spool/cron/crontabs/newuser

I think if I could do a

crontab -e newuser

Insert the job & fall back out of the shell, this would be neater... can anyone suggest?

Stu, I'm sure there has been a recent thread either in this forum or one of the other *nix fora dealing with a similar issue. I'm afraid I've been unable to find it with a search but others might remember better than I. What I would advise at this stage would be not to use crontab -e directly, just make a copy of it for safety and append your command to that using [new line to be included] >> [newcrontabname]. You can then activate it using crontab [newcrontabname] rather than editing a good existing crontab which works.

Hi,

if you do not use crontab command, you should restart cron manually.
/etc/init.d/cron stop
/etc/init.d/cron start

however you can still use crontab command with filename option.

First you should allow root to login as newuser

echo "<server name> root" /export/home/newuser/.rhosts or where the newuser home directory

echo "45 23 * * * $HOME/bin/log.ksh 0 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22 * * *" /tmp/newuser

rsh -l newuser <server name> crontab /tmp/newuser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back