Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRON not working properly (SunOS 5.8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markl

ISP
Oct 17, 2000
GB
I have some entries in cron which are not being executed correctly. The system is Sun OS 5.8 running on a Sparc Netra T1.

It looks like the jobs are being run as they appear in the /var/cron/log file. They are, however, reporting auditing problems. Example below:

! cron audit problem. job failed (/usr/local/bin/mailqueue) for user root Thu Nov 9 15:25:00 2000

I've tried killing off cron daemon and restarting it. I've also tried killing off the auditing daemon and restarting it. Last but not least, I've rebooted the server. None of these have fixed the problem! Cron used to work fine until one day a few weeks ago and its never worked properly since.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark.

Have you edited the crontab entry via "crontab -e" ? Note: make sure you have EDITOR variable set to something useful, like vi.

You also, may want to check to see if the crontab job that you are calling requires any environment variables, as a cron job starts without any environment. If it does require an environment of some description, then it's best to put those definitions at the start of the script.

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I set the EDITOR variable and used crontab -e (I was originally editing the file manually - which has worked fine in the past) and all is fine now!?

Thanks for your help..

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back