Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRM upgrade 1.2 to 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

5stones

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
US
New to Tek-Tips. I'm trying to upgrade our CRM server (2k3) from 1.2 to 3.0. The upgrade went well, but our accounts lost their primary contacts to them? What I did other than follow the Microsoft way was restore the 1.2 database to 3.0. Is their a step that I'm missing? Also, what is the best way to migrate workflows from 1.2 to 3.0. I tried exporting the xml and importing into 3.0 but version 3.0 will not import that 1.2 version. Hmm. Thanks for the help.

can you give more details..

you cannot restore a 1.2 data to crm 3.0...

regards

John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

John O'Donnell, Microsoft CRM MVP, MCSE, MCSA
Microsoft Business Solution Certified Master – Microsoft Dynamics CRM
Crowe Chizek and Company LLC

I followed the Microsoft upgrade procedure in "Upgrading Supported Microsoft CRM 1.2 Environments to CRM 3.0". I believe I missed a step becuase the "primary contact" under the "account" was missing after the upgrade. The contact existed in the form before 3.0. Did I miss a step?

Also, will 1.2 wokflows carry over correctly and functionally when I upgrade to 3.0? My fear is that my workflows will be gone.

No there is not step that would give this behaviour. I assume you have the original databases from 1.2?

Did the logs report any errors?, Also in general work flows will come over form 1.2 to 3.0 but you may have to re-activate them.

yeah, I have the original db. I reverted the test box back to 1.2 and I'm getting ready to try the upgrade again. Thanks for your help. I'll post my results soon after my second effort.

Make sure you run serversplash to run the upgrade as this will create log files. also email me on csharpconsulting@nospamhotmail.com

I uninstalled the 3.0 setup after the errors. I changed most of my crm services from "Local" to Administrator and reinstalled. The install worked without errors. However, now I am unable to login to the web portal. I get an authentication error for all users: "Make sure your user record is enabled and that you have been assigned at least one security role." I've been in deployment manager and tried to find my way around the sql server tables with no luck. Any ideas on how to resolve this one?

A colleague had the exact same issue on friday night. Take look a the security groups ceated by CRM in your Active Directory. Specically look at the one called UserGroup and make sure your users are members

Thanks. I have an open ticket with Microsoft. Evidently, it's a weird issue. Any other groups I should take a look at other than UserGroup (SQLAccessGroup)?

If you have more than one domain controller try replicate all domain controllers.

I'll have the ad admin check on the domain controllers. I have a microsoft tech rep on the horn. I'll mention it to them as well.

Well, I hope this helps someone in the future solve this problem quickly. The solution for us - When you get the error during install go to the OrganizationBase table in the MSCRM db. Find the field called IsRegistered and change it from NULL to 1. Hit retry.

The weird thing is, this field isn't their in 1.2 so we couldn't prevent it. Go figure. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back