Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Critique my site Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzak

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US

This is the second and final design.

I know some of you dislike frames but I like how they keep areas of the page in view and accessible.
I am tring to gear this up for top search engine ranking. Any tips on that area is greatly appreciated.

The page may be slow/heavy for some non-US 56k surfers. It is graphics heavy but there is no other way to convey the party atmosphere that I know of.

Here's my opinion on the site--actually the homepage. I rarely go past the first page when reviewing a site, until lots of suggestions and changes have been made, anyway:

Frames....like you said, lots of us dislike them, but the way you're using them is better than the way most sites seem to use them. The only thing I'd say (and you may already know this) is to make sure that each page in the frames checks to see if it was opened in a frame or in a parent window so that if it's not in a frame it can redirect to a page that will open it in one.

About the top, the way you have the image moving underneath the flame part is cool, but it seems a little weird, just because the menu part is centered and it's off to the side. But I can't really think of any way to center that.

The flash fire (in the content part) seems to me like it's way overused and isn't that great of fire in the first place, but that's only my opinion, take it or leave it.

The background fade for some of the areas where the content goes seems like it isn't quite the right shade to fit the rest of the site. Possibly change those colors to be more like the brighter ones in the menu part?

I can't read the copyright text at the bottom.

Other than that, it looks good. I especially like the way you made the menu look like the front of a car.

Rick

Cool Site! Maybe a little busy but that's only my opinion. One thing I would suggest is making your bulletin board more in keeping whith the theme of your site. PHPBB can be configured to your own specs as to color scheme ect and style Maybe check Other than that good job.

Glen

frames" "accessible" "top search engine ranking"

One of these terms does not belong with the other two. Can you guess which one it is?

OK, you're aiming at a young, able-bodied crowd, so accessibility isn't perhaps a burning issue. However if you are gearing up for for top search engine ranking, using frames is going to really hurt you. Each frame will be a treated as a seperate page by the search engine - so keywords matched in one won't help boost the others. Any hits you do get will probably be directed to pages like - not very helpful!

You can get that framey effect with CSS if you really want it, personally I wouldn't bother.

-- Chris Hunt

Each frame will be a treated as a seperate page by the search engine"

What if you use [noframes] content in the index page? check the code there is another homepage in the index.htm file just for that reason. Unless that is useless also?

Thanks for the critiques!

Sorry to say, but.. the first thing that turned me off about your site was the need to scroll "horizontally" in the left frame. I know this is one of my biggest pet-peeves when it comes to web page design. Of course being from the "old school" of design, we were taught to stay away from the use of "H-scroll" at all costs!

DakotaDuce

Some things I've noticed:
The site won't display correctly at 800 by 600 resolution, and this size is surprisingly common. WIN98 defaults to it, and XP with the 'Favorites' dropdown active is also of roughly this size. And then, not everybody browses at full-screen.
Also check use of apostrophes: There isn't one in
"and requires the Flash plugin to view it's full glory."

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at designing a private web site can be laughed at here:

As for as Accessibility (W3C Standards and section508.gov):
1. your red text is not readable by those who have visual challenges (ie color blindness: 8% of the male population).
2. My screen reader got totally lost on the page.
3. Frames not readable by screen reader.
4. Not all graphics/photos use Alt text so screen reader can't tell what they are.

I am not visually challenged in any way but all my sites are 100% accessible by those who are.

Otherwise, I like the site :)

**Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back