Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Critical Updates recommended??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

devastator

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2001
US
I have just reloaded my workstation with Win2000 and all applications that I was using and its running super fast just like the other two times I reloaded. My question is each time in the past I have loaded the critical updates and that has made the difference in making the workstaion sluggish. Slow shutdowns and restarts, IE runs slower......

Are these updates recommended or is this Microsoft's way to slow your pc down so that you think you need to get another pc and why your at it, add Windows XP?

I am just trying to see how many people actually don't load any of the critical updates and have never had any problems or hacks of any kind.

Dev

What all software do you have running? I have never had a speed problem with a 1 Ghz Celeron with 512 MB RAM.

Also what are your computer specs? iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

I have not noticed a performance hit after applying "critical updates" to a clean 2KPro install. However, regardless of what MS says, I don't consider IE6 "critical" at all and always make sure to remove it. We're sticking with IE 5.5 for the time being.

I am running a Compaq Deskpro Workstation PIII 966MHZ, 512MB RAM, 20GB Hard Drive..........

I have enough power but for some reason after those fixes are applied, it goes down hill. It not like it fails or won't boot or locks up, but I definately notice the difference in the problems I listed above.

Dev

Now, what software do you have running? Is this on a "clean" install or after use? iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Running Office XP Pro, and then all the Administrative tools for SBS 4.5, Exchange 5.5, SQL7, WatchGuard, and Veritas Backup Exec. Symantec Corporate Client 8 and Adobe Acrobat 5.

That is about it besides the basic stuff like Real One, Windows Media Player 9, Quicktime, and Easy CD creator.

Not running anything extreme.

i don't have any problems after installing sp3 for windows2000.i just partitioned and formatted a month ago.i was using sp2 prior to format,

I figured i'd try sp3, if i had problems i figured i would just do it again with sp2.all i would have wasted was a few hours.......but it seems pretty good.i'd reccomend useing sp3.....
i'm happy with it:)

hope this helps!!

Never have a problem as long as I am selective about what updates! Also some Services are not totally 'necessary'?!

You might find that MS update Q329170 is the culprit; it was on my system; totally hosed it; once the update was deleted the system runs great; I had originally installed XP, hated it, yanked that hog, purchased W2K, and have no regrets; will never re-install XP.

Check out this thread at DSLR for more details.
Hope it helps.

balls!

Thx balls. I decided to load all the hotfixes except 3 (one of them Q329170 2 others that I didn't need or apply to my use) and the system works just the same.
I had read about removing Q329170 before and did (before I reloaded and started over) and nothing changed so I was kind of optimistic about if that was my issue or not. But I took the chance yestday and everything seems to be running smooth.

Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back