Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Critical - NT partitions went POOF!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberFive

Programmer
Jul 27, 1999
US
It seems that my NT patrition for E: has disappeared. I am desperately searching for a way to rescue this data...<br>
there are no rescue disks, and Norton Utilities has registered a SMART failure.<br>
Help!<br>
<br>
#5<br>

Have you looked in Disk Administrator? I've had an instance where the partition loses its drive assignment because of a disabled service.

Need more information. How many hard drives? what partitions on each hard drive? , etc... Can you not see drive e in My computer?

How many other partitions do you have - has the letter just changed and freaked you out? Done anything to the server recently (including rebooting)?

Okee, here goes...<br>
<br>
Drives: C, D, E, F (2gb partitions on 8gb drive.)<br>
come in in AM, with

Since the missing partition is E:, can you still see F:, or is it gone also? Have you recently installed or tweaked a Novell client? What letter is it set to assign the first network drive to? If E or F, that might be your problem, make the first network drive G: and see if your lost one reappears.... <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Snicks2, Do you know what service was disabled? I'm having a similar problem on my sql server. I've looked at the services, anything automatic started perfectly. There's only one service set to disabled. just curious, please reply.

It is actually a device driver and not a service. Here is what I was referring to... Go to Control Panel, Devices and find the device driver of the drive in question. Change status from Boot to System.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back