Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

criteria in a report's underlying query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robway

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
AU
I have a report "Provenance" based on a multi-table query. It sorts all the names alphabetically and includes a lot of descriptive material for each provenance. I'd like to print each group (the As, Bs, Cs etc) as separate reports, but not have to go in and put a criteria in the query for each one. If I could get a little box to pop up that says "Enter first letter of name" when I open the report it would be perfect, but I don't know how to write the expression to put in the query.

Help please. Cheers, Robyn

Here is an example SQL for a query to do what you ask:
Select A.*
FROM tblYourTableName as A
WHERE (((A.YourFieldName) Like [Enter first letter of name] & "*"));

Just update the red table and field name designators in the sql and this should work as you requested.

Bob Scriver
Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886
Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source.
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Thanks Bob,

I'm afraid I'm not very expert at this and have never worked with SQL. Do I add this to the SQL version of the existing query? I normally work in design view for these things and add very simple criteria.

Cheers, Robyn

Robyn: Just add this to the criteria row in the column with the name:

Like [Enter first letter of name] & "*"

Let me know how this works for you.

Bob Scriver
Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source.
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Hi Bob,

It works like a dream! Exactly what I needed. Thank you very much. I had fiddled and fiddled with things like this, but couldn't get it just right. This will save me heaps of time. Thanks again.

Robyn
Melbourne, Oz

Robyn, it was a please helping you with this problem. Good luck with your project.

Bob Scriver
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back