Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crimping flat and or ultra Inn patch cables 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmisclvlv

Vendor
Oct 4, 2022
US
Does anyone have a method for crimping and RJ45 onto an ultra thin or flat cat5e or cat6 Network patch cable?

I've tried but I can't seem to get the cable pairs lined up enough to crimp them.

I guess it comes with practice.

Having said that one of my old employers used EZ-RJPRO™ HD Crimp Tools & connectors at their Field Operation locations. I rarely had problems using them to terminate CAT6 cable. I liked them so much that I purchased my own EZ-RJPRO™ HD Crimp Tool & a supply of CAT5e & CAT6 connectors.

The connectors have holes so that the conductors can push through the end for inspection. The crimper has a blade on the end that will cut the excess wire. [smile]

Some people swear by them, while others swear at them.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

most of those flat ethernet cables are stranded core which is more difficult to crimp.

Try and find solid core for making DIY patch cables.

I tried using the older style flat Silver Satin cable 8 conductor 4 pair on an IP set like an Avaya IP office 9611g series IP phone it does work and they come up online but I do notice that there's some lag and also some QOS issues.

Could that be because these are cat 3 stranded?

Silver satin cables are cat-nothing. There's no twist or pairs, so they aren't suitable for any application like Ethernet which requires twisted pair cable. Only good for short distances carrying analog or TDM voice as a line cord at the point of use, or RS232 serial which is what the 8-conductor satin cable was generally intended for.

There are flat cat5e rated cables out there, and they do generally have the required twist ratio to qualify for the CAT-X rating advertised on the packaging (your mileage may vary with knock-offs from overseas which often stretch the truth a bit). As you've found, flat twisted pair cable is very difficult to terminate by hand, as it's machine terminated when you buy pre-made flat cable assemblies.

Yes sir you are correct and thanks for the feedback on the silver satin. I tried again last night with a pass through RJ45 and the individual conductors are so thin and so close together that they're actually smaller than the interior of the pass through so I was never able to feed them. Also it seems like the jacket is molded around each conductor so I had to use a exacto knife just to strip it away of course that took forever but I wanted to see if it was even possible.

My concern is keeping the customer from plugging in the poe IP handsets into their Network jacks I think there should have been a lot more thinking involved when they came up with the standard for a Poe handset. Code on wall Jack's yellow for Poe on my networks since that seems to be a very unusual color. However I still get customers plugging the computer into the Poe and vice versa.

I suspect that in the future since computer seem to advance faster than phones probably cabling will change and come up with a different style connector in the future differentiating it from a handset.

Nothing ventured nothing gained it was fun to try

It shouldn't matter if they plug a handset or computer into a PoE enabled network port.

The device will negotiate the PoE with the switch and if not required the switch doesn't activate it.

If you are using Avaya you can plug the computer into the 9608 handset as it has a builtin switch, you can use DHCP to allocate different VLANs for voice and data on the handset.

I can imagine how frustrating that must have been, trying to get those tiny conductors lined up in the pass-through connectors. Props to you for giving it a go though, even if it didn't work out - that's the kind of troubleshooting mentality that will serve you well down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back