Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creeping Jesus start up mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi all,
I have eliminated practiclly everything from the start-up menu
but it still loads slower than "oh my word".The weird thing is
it seems if I disable somthing, the entire order of loading the
remaining programs changes and alters the boot time.Sometimes
faster sometimes slower. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason
to it.
In other words I have Zonealarm,AVG antivirus,soundblaster and
video driver(in that order) it takes currently 2 min 30 sec.
If I remove say Zonealarm it will boot in a different order and
possibly faster(LIKE MUCH, say 1 min) or perhaps much longer.When
I add it back the load order changes yet again,and so will the
load time.
Any idea how to straighten this out??
Thanks
Jimi_l
jim@jlproduction.com

Have you checked what services are running?

You can disable automtic zupdates, Task Scheduler, Error Reporting service, etc.

reghakr

I do not think it is your startup items that are causing the problems. I have much more in my startup including ZonAlarm and Anti virus software. Mine boots in approx. 35 to 45 seconds. What are your computer specs?

How much RAM do you have?
I suggest at least 256MB with Windows XP - especially with other memory intensive programs (like antivirus software) running in the background.
If you have less than 128MB of RAM, you're not going to like Windows XP at all.

- James.

I am having the same problem. Win XP Pro takes over 2 minutes to boot. I only have AntiVirus software loading at startup. I have disables about half of the services. My machine is an Athlon 1.3 Ghz, 640MB RAM, External ZIP, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, HP Printer. I tried the Bootvis program that Microsoft recommends but it doesn't seem to do anything. I did a clean install of XP on a new Hard Drive. I have a dual boot system with XP and Me. Me boots in say 20-25 seconds. Any ideas??

I have the same problem too! I have a Gateway 300s, 128mb sdram, Celeron 1 gig mhz, Ultra ATA 20 gig, running XP. I've only had this system 2 weeks and it ran fine till I booted it up last night. Talk about slow! Then, after taking 5 minutes plus to get to the desktop, it won't run anything. I'll be calling GW support....

Maybe chech your system logs to see if anything is logging a problem record.

run the program eventvwr.msc from the "run" command on the start menu to view your system logs.

- James.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back