Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creeating Korn Shell to run 2 SQL scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

txwylde

Programmer
Jan 25, 2001
US
I am trying to create a script that will run 2 sql scripts in Korn shell but a little lost. Does anyone have any examples that I can use as a guide? The 2 SQL scripts are called loopers_fiscal.sql and looper_query_v2.sql.

Thanks!
Bill

TX,

Here is an example of my invoking a sql script (that I named txwylde.sql and stored in the /tmp directory). The txylde.sql script simply contains the query:
Code:
select * from dual;
Here is the invocation from my *nix prompt:
Code:
[server]:/dbsrv$ sqlplus username/password @/tmp/txwylde

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Mon Feb 5 14:09:21 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

D
-
X

SQL>
...which generates the correct output.

The contents of the script, txwylde.sql, could just as easily containted invocations of your two scripts:
Code:
% cat /tmp/txwylde.sql

@/<path>/loopers_fiscal.sql
@/<path>/looper_query_v2.sql

Let us know if this helps guide you to a solution that meets your needs.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Thats one way. I wanted to create a chron job and have this script run every week.

Is there a different way to do it?

Thanks!
Bill

Yes, TX,

You can set up a cron job to do the same thing, either directly in the cron-job definition or have the command embedded in a .sh file that the cron-job runs.

Have you not tried that yet as a test?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Bill,
keep in mind, that cronjobs run in a restricted environment: the userprofile (~/.profile) is not called when the job starts.
Given this I'd recommend Dave's .sh file approach and set the environment variables ($ORACLE_HOME, $ORACLE_SID) in that script before calling sqlplus.

Stefan

Stefan's quite right. I'd also add the appropriate PATH variable for belt and braces purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back