Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creative ways to get a 2nd subreport capability from a subreport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellguy

Programmer
Aug 14, 2001
CA
Any creative ideas or ways to accomplish something similar to a subreport calling a subreport? I know drilling down to a lower group level works well but my client wants to:
#1. start with a consolidated financial income statement
#2. drill down an income or expense line to the divisional level (used drilldown)
#3. drill down the divisional level line (a single GL account) to the multiple detail lines from multiple GL journal entry batches (used subreport)
#4. open the full GL journal entry batch (all GL accounts) for a selected GL batch journal detail line (call another subreport would be great)

I'm sure something like this has been tackled before and hope someone has ideas how to get around the subreport limitation not being able to call a subreport. I'm starting to think #3 will have to include the data for #4 and drilldown to #4 from #3

Appreciate all feedback & comments.

LME

I definitely think you would have to do a group drill down. I know that Microsoft Report Builder allows sub-reports in sub-reports (never tried it myself) with drill down capabilities.

The difficulty I’m having is in envisioning examples of what constitutes a “single GL account” vs. “full journal entry batches”, etc. Could you give a concrete example that clarifies what you mean by each? I think there is a way to do what you want by using two separate subreports maybe in the same section or possibly in different ones, e.g., #2 vs #3. Not sure.

Also think about what you might accomplish by adjusting the subreport links—to get broader data, remove one or more link(s) that is/are limiting the data at that particular level.

-LB

One way of solving this is to use 3rd-party Crystal Reports tools.

See list of 3rd-party Crystal Reports Viewers here.
My DataLink viewer allows a double-click on a Crystal report formula (specifying the report to launch, parameter values...) to launch another report.
This would be one way to address your use case.

Another option is to deliver the multi-level drill-downs as pdf exports from several Crystal reports that get embedded within each other in a single encapsulated file.
This can be achieved by at least one 3rd-party Crystal automation tool (see list of such tools here).
Here is a video demo of how this is done using my Visual CUT software.

view, export, burst, email, and schedule Crystal Reports.

You are describing a classic dashboard. Crystal report is designed to be a static report. It is useful if you need to print an invoice, form or save a data snapshot in a form of document. Generally speaking it is designed for the paper world. There are some basic interactive options like sorting or drill-down, but even the simplest dashboard will allow you more flexibility and slicing options.

Viewer and Scheduler for Crystal reports, SSRS and Dynamic Dashboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back