Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creative lab soundcard drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dray

MIS
Aug 23, 1999
US
Visit site
I'm having a problem trying to load the sound drivers for a creative labs sound card. I keep getting a message that the port is in use. I've tried all available ports (220, 240, 260 and 280). The computer's hard drive was formatted and all programs were reinstalled by the user. I've removed the sound card and booted the system without the card then reinstalled the card with no success. I know this is a simple problem, but for the life of me, I cannot think of an answer. Thanks for any help in advance.<br>
<br>
Dray

You need to play with all the settings to get the right combination, including the IRQ's. It can be a real pain but sometimes even seeing if there are later drivers for the sound card. You can go to which is an NT support page dedicated to drivers.

Have you tried to let the Plug And Play detect it? <br>
Insert the Windows NT 4.0 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. In &lt;CDROM_Drive&gt;:\drvlib\pnpisa\x86, right-click PNPISA.INF, and then click Install. Then restart the computer, and logon as the Administrator. If it finds the device it will attempt to install it. Sometimes letting the computer install it using Plug and Plug can get it installed even when you can't.<br>
<p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@net1plus.com>jsauce@net1plus.com</a><br><a href= Backup</a><br>

Aside from all the other suggestions, your sound card might have jumpers to set IRQ and I/O port.

There is a readme with the OEM driver and also the SB driver obtained online. You can not install from multimedia in control panel. I've done this on several NT machines. You must install PnP, however the instructions are in the install and update software.

Is the memory addresses on the card conflicting with any other equipment (NIC, or Modem?)<br>
One of our NT boxes absoloutely refused to have sound running if the modems worked, and vice versa.<br>
We had to go tamper with some of the memory addressing to get it to run both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back